Interlude 4 - So Many Stories That Were Never Recorded

Did she bring the mountain chill with her when she came to Spellman?

The Bay Area wasn't well-known for frigid winter weather, and yet when Fionna woke up this December morning, every single rooftop was white with frost, blindingly reflecting the sunrise. It wasn't as cold here as it would be in Bearville this time of year, but it was still far colder than she expected. She'd given away all but one of her winter parkas before the move, and that one, as luck would have it, was in the laundry today. So she was stuck going to school today in a thin hoodie more appropriate for spring.

She suspected, too, that the local warlock population might have had something to do with the cold snap. Even as she watched now, while eating her lunch, she saw a group of three other students at a nearby table, one of whom was freezing an apple in his hand. Funny, he looked more Dark with his messy brown hair, but he also had the slender build of an Ice under his own thin, spring-appropriate layers. A build like a male version of the girl he sat next to, a dead ringer for Elsa right down to her long platinum-blonde braid. And then the other guy with them, he was a whole different kind of adorable. If this were a movie, he'd be the clumsy, snarky, witty best friend that all the fans would go gaga over, dubbing him "their" smol cinnamon roll like they all owned his ass.

She'd watched these three for the last couple of days, ever since they'd started sitting together. She thought they were themselves just connecting as friends for the first time. Maybe more than, too - the bespectacled Dark Ice dude seemed to have eyes only for Elsa. Which reminded her, a little uncomfortably, of her new neighbor.

Nevertheless, she wanted to join them, but also felt afraid to put herself out there like that. So unlike her, but then again, she hadn't been that kind of extrovert in a long while.

"Hey." Gabe Emery's arrival brought Fionna out of her thoughts. She tore her attention away from the warlock trio and turned to him as he sat down with his lunch, a pizza slice the size of his whole head. She'd ordered the same thing - expensive, but so worth it. But she'd barely even touched it yet, mostly because she was waiting for Gabe to get his.

Silently, she flashed him a peace sign before picking up her own slice, which had cooled considerably after spending five minutes or so in the sub-fifty temperature outside.

Looking over Gabe's shoulder, she saw Alex come out of the cafeteria, carrying a paper-wrapped chocolate chip cookie. She caught his eye, and held his gaze for a long, long moment, then bashfulness got the better of him. He walked away, head down as if he could hide the blush creeping up his tan cheeks.

Gabe turned around and followed Fionna's line of sight, then sighed through his nose. "Failed again, huh?"

"Is he always this awkward?"

"He's the awkwardest turtle of them all." Gabe stacked both his hands, palms up, thumbs extended and waggling in circles.

"At least I didn't have to work too hard to set boundaries."

"Hmm. You know, I think you're the first person he's liked who doesn't, you know, like him back."

"Is that so?" Fionna leaned forward, trying to make herself small because the wind was picking up and she felt too exposed out here on the edge of this outdoor dining area. And because she was feeling uncomfortable all over again. Just what she was afraid of - a guy who probably wouldn't take no for an answer. Would she have to tell her parents and ask them to speak to Alex's?

"Mm-hmm. But here's the thing - everyone else Alex has dated has this much in common. A) they're on the swim team with us, or they were at the time. And B) they just wanted him for sex, pretty much." Gabe laughed lightly to himself. "If that's his type, I'm surprised he's into you. But maybe he just wants a change. I mean, his last breakup was the pits for him. He got caught in bed with the girl-"

"You already told me that."

"Did I?"

"Monday, remember? My first day here? And I snorted my milk up my nose. I'm still sneezing white snot because of you."

Gabe inclined his head as if in thanks. "But seriously, I'm telling you...give him a shot. He's not gonna ask you again - even finals don't make him as nervous as you do."

At the risk of more snorting, Fionna sipped her milk for a long time before answering. "Maybe I will. But not today."

"Please do," Gabe said.

"On my own time," Fionna said firmly. "When I'm ready. If I'm ready."

"I think that's what he wants." Gabe took a huge, very saucy bite of pizza that left him looking like his mouth was bleeding. "I think he's tired of being the one in the driver's seat. The only one looking for real love."

Fionna rolled her eyes at him, feeling tired herself. Tired of being relentlessly shipped with Alex all because of his little insta-crush.

She had to admit, he was so open about his feelings, he probably would make a good boyfriend. Sensitive, caring, and hey, not at all unattractive. (It would probably help, though, if he got himself a haircut. His long hair didn't really suit him - it made him look like many a poorly-written troubled TV teen.)

Gabe had a good point about Alex's exes (Fionna made a mental note to try saying that three times fast whenever she had a chance.) If they really just wanted him for sex, it would really be a bad idea for her to similarly give in to any hormonal urges she had for him.

Would it really hurt just to reach out to him and test the waters?

But no. She wasn't ready. Not today.

"So..." What to do, how to change the subject... "You see The 100 last night?"

"No, but I got spoiled 'cause they broke the damn internet again!" Gabe shook his fist in the air. "Why are they always killing our faves off? Why, why, why?"