Chapter 15 - Life On Mars?

***ALEX***

Watching Fionna save her human's life, that was incredibly beautiful. But now, we're already experiencing unforeseen side effects.

Namely, the new guy in the cave.

Everyone else seems to know him, but not Fionna and Gabe. And not me, either. When I first spotted him as we all gathered around Fionna, I kind of overlooked the fact that he wasn't Harris. Hell, my first thought, seeing this unassuming guy with his glasses and beanie, was something along the lines of, When did Harris evolve into Dylan O'Brien? Then I thought, Does Harris have a brother?

Finally, I realize what's so wrong with this picture. While Gabe stares at our new friend, reduced to shocked stuttering as he tries to make sense of his presence, I actually voice it. "Where the fuck is Harris?"

"Who now?" asks a bemused Russell.

"This guy!" Gabe struggles to get his phone out of his pocket, he's so panicked. Finally, he unlocks it and pulls up his photos, including a selfie of him and Harris, the latter kissing his cheek photo-booth style.

"You're dating Harris?" Glasses reaches under his beanie, almost dislodging it from his head as he scratches it. "I didn't know he was...I thought he...well, you know what? I kinda did get a vibe off him. But...how? He's still alive, and you're...well..."

"Yeah, since when did Gabe have a new squeeze?" Kensi asks. "I thought he was still getting over that dude he knew before."

Fionna remains silent. All she does is gape at Glasses, her lips fluttering. Is she hyperventilating? I'm tempted to hug her until she calms down, but Kensi beats me to it. So I take a different kind of action. Standing in front of Glasses, I ask, "Who are you?"

Tall though I am, I'm a bad intimidator. Glasses just looks up at me, arms crossed and eyes narrowed behind his spex. Yeah, this guy is so totally not Harris. I've barely even met Harris, but I feel like I've known him for years. One of those warm, welcoming people with an infectious, boyish attitude. Glasses, on the other hand, comes off cold and prickly. A little unfriendly, even. I think it might be because I know he's not supposed to be here, but I don't instinctively trust him the way I do with Harris.

"You seriously forgot who I am already?" he scoffs. "I just introduced myself to you, like, ten minutes ago. I'm Jay. Jay Cross. I work with your brother-"

"No, you don't." Gabe stands next to me, staring down Jay as well. "I don't know you!"

"Is this your idea of a joke?" Jay shakes his head.

Wait a minute...Jay Cross. I know that name. I borrowed it to use for the vampire hero Aron and I created. For The Venom Chronicles, not that there's been a second one to make it well and truly plural yet. And I picked that name because... "You used to date Gideon, didn't you? Erm..." I snap my fingers. "Sorry, you wouldn't know about him. You knew him as Dani-"

"Yeah, Gabe already told me about her. Uh, him. Sorry." Jay looks over at Gabe. "You sure you don't know me? We're partners, man. Not, you now, love partners like these two ladies" - his eyes flick over to Fionna and Kensi - "but, you know, Guardian partners. We come to Earth and check on your human, come to Heaven and check on my angel - God, that boy needs help. He's more repressed than I ever was, and I didn't even think-"

"Whatever you're saying, it doesn't change anything." Gabe turns away from Jay and starts pacing the cave floor next to the Black Mirror. "'Cause I still don't know you. My partner isn't you. My partner is Harris McCallum. And yes, he's my love partner too. I love him. He's the best boyfriend I've ever had. And..." He rounds on Fionna, his eyes suddenly blazing, almost white. "And you took him away from me!"