Chapter 10: What Just Happened?

As the tricarrier gained altitude, 8 figures stood on the deck looking down at the Academy, growing smaller with every second they flew higher. It was a rushed morning, and it was a good thing they had said their good-byes the night before, because they didn't have a chance to say good-bye again.

Not that they'd be able to, after the sad, emotional good-byes they received from the infected; they all seriously doubted they'd be able to make it through brave-faced, and not crumbling on the inside. Not that they weren't crumbling right now, more like slowly tearing at the seams.

The tricarrier stayed hovering around the Academy, or around New York, with the cloaking devise on to prevent unwanted eyes and attention. The teens stood for a few moments longer, before shuffling slowly inside the tricarrier. The first place they went to wasn't their new bunks, not the training room, not the cafeteria; but the main deck where all the monitors were set up so S.H.E.I.L.D could watch inside the Academy 24/7.

In the main deck Nick Fury, as well as the Avengers, were facing a giant screen that held several different squares, each square representing one of the main cameras within the Academy. At least 1 camera was by the sick beds of the infected, where the sick teens still lay.

S.H.E.I.L.D medications and sedatives proved only to slightly slow the virus infecting the teen's systems. So far, the virus wasn't fatal, only caused extreme pain due to their molecular structure being attacked, and redesigned. Very painful, but it shouldn't kill them, besides their healing factors and/or metabolisms were only weak, but they still slightly worked.

Without the leisure effects of the medicines, the virus was like a raging forest fire-completely unstoppable once it got too far. Now it burned through the infected veins, working to complete its tasks after all the sedatives were flushed from the systems. The infected cried and writhed on their beds as it over-took their bodies.

The volume was off, no one wanted to hear those agonized screams, but whenever Agent Venom looked at the screams, his brain automatically put in the tortured cries of Spider-Man (when he mutated in the hallway) and Agent Venom flinched every time. So much pain and so little help.

Nick Fury stared emotionless at the monitors, hands behind his back as his one good eye skimmed over the video feed. "Get ready for the lockdown procedure." He commanded. Agents at high tech computers, and screens worked frantically, talking into small microphones and typing in codes.

"Sir, ready for lockdown procedure Alpha Red 120.20.16," an Agent confirmed a few moments later, giving a stiff salute. Nick nodded, and waited for a moment, his eyes ghosting over the monitors. Then he said, "Commence lockdown." There was more typing.

The Avengers also looked at the screens, each with their own, unique pained look. They looked disgusted with themselves, but couldn't tear their eyes from the monitors. This was the only way...right? All their options were covered? They weren't missing one crucial detail? They didn't feel completely confident about this idea, uncomfortable and regretful actually. Thinking about those poor kids, locked in the Academy in pain, and they were simply stuck watching-it left bile on their tongue.

Lockdown commencing...a robotic female voice announced, official protocols will be enacted, all exterior entrance and/or exits will be cut off and sealed, monitors and technological funtions will remain fully operational. Tranquilizer gas will remain on stand-by until access is denied. Clint gave Nick and odd look, "What's the trang gas for?" he asked.

"A precaution; just in case Spider-Man can't keep his team mates under control and their behavior toward each other gets...aggressive," Nick Fury said.

Tony glowered, and crossed his arms. "But how long with the gas work? Are you just going to keep gassing them whenever they wake up? What's the plan here Nick? We can't just do that, we have to have a back-up plan, some sort of strategy in case this doesn't work." The genius ranted in frustration.