Chapter 19: A Mole Inside S.H.I.E.L.D

A few minutes before Vulture attacked the tricarrier...

Doctor Otto Octavius hung in his cell, the feeling of boredom itching at his skull. The binds holding him was sheet metal covering all of his body besides his head, it was meant to keep him constricted at all time, meaning that Octavius couldn't so much as twitch an arm. This position was extremely uncomfortable, but it was something he got used to over the months of being subjected to this cell.

Octavius might've been a genius scientists, but that didn't mean boredom didn't plague his mind like with any other person. He already went through the dozens of formulas and experiments he had waiting for him back in his lab, and while just hanging where he was, he came up with more solutions to his formulas and dozens of different experiments he could perform once he was free. While he was at it, he fancied many, MANY wonderful ideas of how to destroy that two-timing, upstart SPIDER-MAN! While experiments were fun, nothing would put a bigger smile on Octavius's face than imagining how long it would take for the infuriating arachnid to bleed out, or how long he would last if he was continuously electrocuted. Not to mention all the experiments Octavius could do on Spider-Man; figure out what made him so enhanced, finally see how his power worked beneath his skin – as well as the numerous blood samples he could use to conduct and research more on the venom symbiote. But while Octavius loved fancying about it, he figured the experiments would never happen.

Not because Spider-Man was as slippery as an eel and always managed to escape Octavius clutches, but because the longer Spider-Man remained alive the more chance he would stop Octavius and his scientific research. Personally torturing Spider-Man, hearing his agonized screams, oh that would be the best thing that could happen to Octavius! But the evil scientist figured that destroying Spider-Man immediately was the better option, just ending a continuous, probing problem once and for all. So he settled on calculating how long Spider-Man would stay alive due to his healing factor if Doc Ock slowly and painfully dissected him alive.

That was one of his favorites.

But his musing was interrupted by a loud boom, and the tricarrier, in which he was being held, violently tipped to the side. Some of Octavius's hair fell in his face, but it didn't bother him. Ock was used to his hair falling everywhere, so it didn't irk him. But he still blew it out of the way, looking curiously out of his cell. The guards outside stumbled, using the walls for support before hanging their guns on their shoulders and talking hurriedly into their communicators. One of the guards by Doc's cell left, leaving the other there alone.

A moment later there was another boom, and the tricarrier tipped once more. Suddenly, Octavius felt the binds around him loosen, then open, and he tumbled out and onto the ground. From where he fell he could see the cell doors swish open. The guard looked around frantically, shouting into his communicator, before he was suddenly silenced. Octavius lay there helpless – while it was great to have the binds off, his arms and legs were weak (which was why he relied solely on his mechanical 'arms') and thus restricted him to the floor.

He looked up for anything that could help his situation, but found nothing. However, a figure appeared outside his cell a moment later, and Octavius looked up to see Kraven the Hunter watching him with a glint of amusement. "Doctor Octavius," he greeted, accent thick in his words. "I suppose your freedom isn't as 'free' as one would think."

"Don't mock me Kraven," Octavius warned. "It will be a mistake that you'll greatly regret."

Kraven scoffed, "What? You'll make me into one of your many failed experiments?" But nonetheless he didn't push Octavius any further. Said scientists squirmed uncomfortable on the floor, now irritated with being under another's scrutinizing gaze. "Don't just stand there you fool! Find me my arms!" Kraven gave Ock a weird look.