Chapter 28: Extra Help

Anyway, enjoy this chappie! Also, I have a surprise for you guys at the end of THIS chapter, *wink wink* but don't cheat and scroll down to read it first! Go through the chapter then you can read the surprise! Enjoy this and what is to come! ;

___

After his talk with Kraven, Nick Fury got to work reinforcing the Academy walls to make sure the Infected weren't going to bust the doors or ceiling down. Of course building stronger walls inside of the Academy was out of the question; with how bad the last few times entering the nearly-abandoned school went, Nick didn't dare send anyone else in.

So, instead, he was building up the walls on the outside. Adding several more feet of thick, heavy-duty sheets of iron to thicken and strengthen up the outside exterior. The drilling and building was no doubt causing a panic within the Academy, even with the disabled cameras that much was sure to be true, but it had to be done.

Speaking of disabled cameras, Fury needed to get that fixed pronto.

He contacted someone, a mutant in fact, who has the ability and extra-keen senses to sneak into the Academy (undetected) and manually set up a few cameras, where Spider and his Pack won't see. Not many mutants would risk themselves to do that, but this particular mutant was a bit...special. Not Deadpool special, ugh – definitely not. But close enough.

"Director Fury, Wolverine has just arrived." An agent quietly announced to the Director, walking up and leaning in close so only the two could hear each other. Nick nodded in understanding, "Good, send him up to my office. I'll be up there soon." The agent muttered a crisp "Yes Sir," and was off once again to do as he was told.

Nick Fury glanced down at the progress below on the Academy, hoping – praying – that nothing bad would happen when he stepped into his office. Everything he's tried with the Infected always ended up blowing in his face, certainly adding a few extra, extremely strong sheets of iron to the Academy couldn't end in mayhem and injury.

But Fury really didn't want to jinx himself either.

With one last sweeping glance, the Director turned on his heels and headed to his office. It was a short journey, though he didn't see much of the lingering heroes as he went. The teens took a breather from the Tricarrier by going to the city and patrolling, Nick figured they all needed the extra stimulation anyway – beating up purse-snatcher might help get rid of that growing frustration. Besides, ever since the gassing of the Academy, crimes rates have shot up in New York and Manhattan.

Spider-Man was the one who usually went out on patrol, occasionally bringing some of his teammates along. But as soon as the news-crews got their hands on the story that Spider-Man a some of his teammates were in 'critical condition' and unable to perform their heroic duties, it was plastered on every screen, video, newspaper, and billboard in New York and Manhattan. Robbers and muggers decided it was a good day to come out of hiding, since their #1 wall-crawling, bad-guy fighting vigilante was out of commission and unable to throw them back in the hidey-holes they crawled out of.

The Ultimate New Warriors felt guilty about the overflow of crime, especially because Spider-Man worked so hard to contain it, so they took the last few days away from S.H.I.E.L.D, and the Avengers, to patrol and help the police wherever they could, only returning back to the Tricarrier at the end of the day for sleep and the occasional meal. Last Nick checked, the crime-rate was dropping steadily by the day thanks to the teens effort – as it should.

But even with the absence of the teens, the Avengers kept to themselves a lot as well. They could still be seen in the halls, or grouped together and discussing over something in a hushed manner, but other than that they waited patiently for anything they could do to assist with the situation. Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow were all outside helping build up the Academy, or watching over the procedure in case any problems sprouted up. Whereas, Tony was starting to get progress in the labs, with the assistance of Sam Wilson and – now – Bruce Banner.