Chapter 14: Feeding Time

It was a couple days since the meeting with the Avengers; the Infected were still cooped up in the Academy, but they were really starting to get hungry. Spider had taken all of his buddies to the cafeteria and completely raided it, there was no food-not even so much as a crumb. Spider had been a little smart and had tried to conserve some of it; but that proved fruitless in the end. After the constant growing and mutating from the Infected, their metabolisms were coming back as powerful as ever-and as effective as they had ever been-and they were starving. They hadn't attempted to eat each other...yet, but who's to say it won't happen?

Though today was the day when Nick's plan to feed them would be put into action; using the underwater cargo hold, and Shipment Pad beneath the Academy, they were going to send in food by robot. The food consisted of things that the animals usually ate: There was meat (cooked of course, S.H.I.E.L.D wasn't heartless after all), nuts, berries, fish, grain, fruits, and a little bit of hay (for Rhino, just in case). They didn't want to send in any bugs, for Spider-Man, unsure if they could contain so many bugs (dead or alive-though Spider would probably prefer them alive. Thrill of the hunt or something) and really hoped that wouldn't be a problem. Besides, the idea of getting that many insects was sickening anyway.

For a while after the meeting, the remaining teens had done their best to avoid eye-contact with the Avengers, or Nick Fury, as much as possible. Even Amadeus, after returning from the meeting, looked awkward and uncomfortable, but of course he took it like the mature little genius he was. Everyone else refused to talk about what was said during the meeting, it was too....weird, awkward, and disturbing to even think about. But because of today, they were hoping to forget all that and crossed their fingers that this plan would be a success.

Everyone was gathered on the Main Deck where the monitors were. A few of the Avengers weren't present, like Tony (who was locked in his lab, Sam with him), and Hulk who had returned to Vista Verde to update his Smashers about their Infected predicament. Thankfully crime in New York had been low for a little bit (from after the Contest of Champions), and the worried heroes didn't have to go out and beat up a bunch of crooks and thugs for snatching an old ladies purse-although, perhaps the extra punching bag wouldn't be that bad-useful even, for some of the heroes who needed to get some frustrating anger out of their systems. Anyway, they all stood in the Main Deck and waited patiently.

The teens were glued to the monitors, of course, while Nick was discussing the plan with Steve, Natasha, Clint, and Coulson. Agent Venom wrung his hands nervously as his eyes flitted over the screens, "Oh man, what if this doesn't work?" he asked, hands tightening harder and harder each time.

"It'll work." Power-Man replied confidentially; his arms were crossed calmly over his chest, maintaining his cool demeanor and attitude. Yet inside, he was as worried as Agent Venom and facing his own doubts and concerns.

Nova, who was hovering above him, nodded with Agent Venom. "But how do you know?" he questioned. "What if something goes wrong?" Iron Fist looked up at Nova and gave him a small, soft smile of reassurance.

"Director Fury, as well as the Avengers, have all worked hard at coming up with a plan." Iron Fist told him. "Even if this plan fails, another is sure to take its place." Nova shrugged, he placed himself back on the ground next to them. The other teens stood by silently, the time they planned on delivering the food was at 1:30 (the time which it would take to prepare everything). Right now it was 1: 27, three minutes until it was time. Everyone within the tricarrier was tense as the time drew nearer. As another minute ticked by, Nick Fury broke off his discussion with the others, and overlooked the activity of the submarine-already stocked with the food supply-that had already been set in the ocean below.

He didn't talk, and simply watched the screens with the attentive gaze of a hawk. It was at times at this that the teens really understood why Nick Fury was Director; he could handle any situation with calm ease, and a clear head, most likely with a back-up plan already tucked away in his brain. Just.....never attack his tricarrier and/or try to take control over it, change it, morph it, hurt it, sink it, or blow it up-his last name wasn't FURY just because that was his daddies last name too.