Chapter 13: No! You Cannot Eat the Beetle!

*following the events of the last chapter*

"Okay where were we?" Nick Fury asked, settling back into his chair. The teens grabbed a chair and sat, listening on the adult's conversation intently. The Avengers were all seated randomly, but each listened with the upmost attention. Well, except for Clint who was leaning back in his chair, and twiddling an arrow in-between in fingers. Though he looked casual, one could tell he was paying attention to how quiet he was being.

Tony was the only one standing up (besides Hulk, who stood in the back of the room with his arms folded silently, there were no chairs that could with-hold his immense size) and displaying a holographic screen to the others. The screen showed charts, and graphs, as well as many algorithms and formulas, all from the data collected from the Infected. Tony tapped a certain diagram that showed one of the DNA structures from the Infected before the gas attack, and one after. "Anyway, as I was saying," Tony continued, "These are bits of DNA that was taken from Rhino before he was gassed. The formula that Rhino had injected in him, genetically changed his DNA structure and bonded with his blood, and rearranged its anatomy-which is why half actually looks like a Rhino. Now the gas, it's composed of a lot of chemicals; some of which even S.H.E.I.L.D scientists can't identify-"

"You too." Sam Wilson interrupted.

Tony grumbled, "Well-yeah, for the time-being anyway." He coughed in his fist and continued. "Anyway, there are a few chemicals that have been discerned, including some which are found in many anabolic steroids." Tony was interrupted again by Flash who raised his hand and said," Wait, wait, wait-steroids?"

Amadeus nodded, "Yeah, anabolic steroids. It's a synthetic steroid hormone that develops muscle growth, and enhances physical capacity. That actually explains the rapid growth that the infected keep experiencing, the anabolic steroids are strengthening them, and actually heightening their development."

The Avengers, especially Tony, blinked in surprise. Fury and the other teens were fully aware of Amadeus's genius brain, but the Avengers must have missed the memo. "Wow, you actually understand what I'm saying?" Tony smirked. Amadeus scoffed, and crossed his arms over his chest stubbornly, "Puh-lease, this stuff is easy-peasy." He said, a cocky tone underlining his words.

"Really?" Tony mumbled in interest. "You know, maybe you can help me in the lab sometime." Amadeus didn't answer, but inside he felt a bubble of excitement. Finally, he might be able to use a lab to really be able to study the gas, besides (he'd never admit it) but he actually always wanted to work with Tony. But that moment of happiness and awe was interrupted when Tony added, "If you don't get in the way."

Before Amadeus could shoot back a snarky reply, Clint interrupted "Okay you nerds can spew geek over each other later. Just continue on Tony, I may not be able to understand a single thing you're saying, but that doesn't mean I'm not listening." Tony shot Clint a raised eyebrow, but turned back to his screen.

"As I was saying, and as Iron Spider explained, the anabolic steroids are enhancing the infected. So we know whoever did do this, wanted them to be as strong and capable as they could. Although that many steroids isn't really healthy for the body, and since the carbon monoxide in their bodies are weakening any of the healing factors or metabolism defenses that they did have against harmful chemicals, the steroids could have a negative effect. But that also brings up another point," Tony tapped the holographic screen and another diagram came up. "This is some of Spider-Man's DNA after he showed signs of calming aggression, and perhaps even intelligence-after we had captured him again. It seems the carbon monoxide poisoning only has a short-term effect before it starts dissipating, and allowing the bodies regular healing capabilities to come back fully. So we know whoever did this WANTED to enhance the infected, but also wanted all their powers and extra abilities completely intact. We still don't know why the Infected had displayed levels of such aggression and anger, but it could be from an attack on the Amygdala, which is the part of the brain that controls emotion-although I have yet to figure out how that attack came to be, and what it wants to accomplish." Tony scratched his chin, suddenly deep in though.