Rogues

I dream of Judy and Darcy.

I don't know why.

They were intertwined, connected, tethered together by some force that was connected to me, somehow.

I woke up, trying to clutch on to that memory, of those two, trying to see what the similarity was.

But reality brought me a hungry stomach, and the ashes of a burnt out fire. Another day in Paradise.

I quickly feed myself, with plants gathered around the forest, and piled neatly, to be consumed upon my awakening.

Someone's watching me.

I don't give it away, that I know that there's a watcher. I've been trained too well for that.

So I crouch, pretending that I don't know exactly where the intruder is hiding, or that he exists at all. I have to wait.

I throw my pack on, settling the straps comfortably. It's light enough that I can fight in it, if needed.

I start walking, south, towards the compound, my team, and my future. Without the ZSS, I don't really know who I am. They made me, molded me into what I am, and that's not a debt lightly repaid.

I think of Hopps, of Darcy, again, my thoughts tripping over them.

They're a puzzle I can't solve, why I always think of them together. Even though they've never met. They are both thought of in the same breath.

My watcher is following me. I feel slightly insulted. He's clearly making no attempt to walk quietly, and his footsteps almost echo in my ears. Amateur.

I wait, and stop suddenly, looking up as if I had seen something. Naturally, he'd be looking, too, to see what had made me stop.

I quickly launch myself backwards, spinning in mid air, so that I'm facing him.... er, HER.

She smirks. Anger rises up, but I shove it down, repressed, but not gone. I might need it.

She's a fox. But something about her tail and ears are off. A little too long. A little too short. She's a hybrid.

She puts her paws on her hips, posing. She's attractive, but in a way that reminds you of ice. Cold and untouchable.

"Impressive. But a little sloppy. Far from home, city boy?" She cocks an eyebrow, looking at me calculatingly, running her eyes over me.

"No." I say, pouring the native charm and politeness into my voice. "Just passing through. Who are you, stranger? And why were you following me?"

* @Moonthephantom for the idea for the Rogues. Four of the Rogues leader belong to them. Thank you.*