Jack POV

I knew they could save Wilde. Judy didn't have to suffer.

But they didn't.

Connor said he'd meant it, it wasn't a stray bullet, he'd looked Nick in the eyes and pulled the trigger. He said that when he killed someone, they died, and stayed dead.

So I had to watch one of the most extraordinary females I know watch her lover die. And any small hope I might have cherished for a future relationship is gone. She won't ever walk away from this, won't ever move on. She loved with her heart and soul, and now her heart and soul is dying with a bullet in his gut.

I stand next to her, and my own eyes fill with tears. He doesn't have to die. But he is.

"I'm so sorry." The words sound weak against somebody's last breaths.

She doesn't answer.

Nick opens his eyes one last time. "Can't... Go... Just yet. Savage. Look after her. Please."

I nod wordlessly. This isn't a time for me to talk, but to listen.

"Judy. Don't follow me. Let me go. Live long, be happy. Fix our world. Make it a place where we would have lived. It's been an adventure, sweetheart. And I've loved every minute of it."

And with those words, Nicholas Piberius Wilde died with his arms wrapped around she that he loved dearly enough to die for. He died not an old fox, as it should have been, but young and hale. He left behind a girlfriend, a small fennec fox, and a broken world. He left behind a bleeding and broken heart, and a heartless agent to try and comfort a hurt he did not know how to heal.

Nick Wilde left scars, and I'm sure he regretted that. I'm sure he would have given anything to spare Judy hurt.

I'm sure because I would do the same.