Preparing

Nick POV

I kiss her, and hope sprouts wings in my chest. It's grey and purple.

Her arms snake around my head, and tug at my ears. My paws grip her waist, the only thing holding her back from the fall.

We're going to get out of this city. Even if for just a while. I couldn't abandon it forever, but---

Thought is swallowed. I forced it down. All that matters is that we're alive. We're safe. And we're together.

Judy breaks the kiss, and hugs the barrel of my chest, burying her short, grey, muzzle just above my collar bone.

I run my arms down the back of her head, down her long grey ears, and to the small of her back. Back up. Back down. Rinse and repeat.

After a while, we clamber back down to the distant ground. We have to get ready to go. Bogo doesn't like it when we disappear for long periods of time without a mission. I don't know why. I'm the perfect model of a gentleman. Most of the time. It's fifty-fifty. Ish.

We get to the warehouse, get questioned, let in, and go to our sleeping quarters.

I pull a knapsack from under my bed, and start filling it with the valuable items that would keep us alive for the two hundred plus miles we would have to traverse soon.

Stuff like matches, flint, rope, canvas, sweatshirts, and weapons all filed silently into my bag. I hesitate, and turn to Judy.

"Is Finn coming?" A deep part of me hopes he isn't. I don't think he'd make it. He's been getting stronger, but I still feel protective. He's been so quiet.....

Judy shakes her head. "Oh, no. We're trying to keep this small. It's just me and you."

Relief. It's been a while, but it feels amazing compared to worry. "That sounds WONDERFUL." I emphasize with a slightly wicked grin, shifting towards her slightly.

A playful grin dances across her grey and cream face, and before I know it, there's a blur moving towards me, smacking my chest and twisting my arm to a painful position. I go limp, hoping that will make her relax her iron grip. I've never had a chance against her when it came down to a fight.

"Don't get any ideas, fox. You know I'm carrying repellant."
I can hear the restrained grin on her voice.