Meet Ugly(Nick)

It started with a rustle in the bushes, a snapping of a branch. Before we knew that there was anyone else near us, we were surrounded and outnumbered.

Our ambushers were mammals if different kinds, and they radiated outward from a red fox like spokes from a wheel. I assumed that he was their leader, he carried himself with assurance and ease. At his side was a white and black striped male tiger, whom I assumed was a hybrid, and a beautiful wolf with red tinged fur and a pointier snout than I'd have expected. Hybrid.

The fox smiled at us, but his teeth were all wrong for our species. They looked more like Judy's. Hybrid. "My name is Connor," he said, and I fought the urge to hide Judy behind me. She's proven that she can take care of herself. "My name is Connor, and these are my Rogues." Connor said, motioning to his mammals.

"Very nice." I say with mock politeness. "You can leave now."

His smile did nothing but grow. "Oh, I don't think so. SHE," he pointed one clawed finger at Judy. "Is Officer Judy Hopps, one of the ZPD's finest. So that makes you Nicholas Piberius Wilde, her partner, correct?"

"I'm impressed, you get a gold star." Judy says, voice cold and sharp, like a knife. Atta girl.

The wolf hybrid on his right stepped forward, eyes and fangs glinting. "We'd wondered where all the officers had gone." She said smoothly. "After the end."

"We're still here." I say. "And taking down criminals." Maybe not so much anymore, but do they need to know that? No, no they do not.

Connor snorts. "That's not what I've been hearing." The challenge is clear in his tone.

"Then I'd check your sources," I mean the snarl that rips its way out of my throat and into the air.

He snarls right back at me, and the male hybrid at his side steps forward, hackles raising, but his erstwhile leader reels him back in. "Enough, G!"
Flustered, Connor turns back to us. "You're coming back home with us. It would be nice to have your cooperation, but it doesn't really matter." I feel the weight of every mammals eyes resting on my pelt.

Judy slips her paw into mine, and steps forward, as brave and beautiful as I've ever seen her. The less she focuses on herself, or even me, the more of her inner light shines through. She's the bravest person I know when she opens her mouth to talk. "Not today, buddy."