Jacks POV

It's black and white hitting against blood red. We dance, locked together, spinning away, prowling closer.

Her claws dig into my shoulder, drawing blood, but I knee her stomach hard.

She's good, bending and twisting, bearing down on me.

My life is cursed with strong, fighting females. I've never saved a delicate damsel. It doesn't sound that fun.

She tries to uppercut my jaw, but I lean backwards, getting my stomach and chest raked as she brings her paw back down in frustration.

She said her name was Kate. She's not pulling her punches. I have to respect her for that.

I take the blow, and sweep her legs. She nimbly jumps over them, but I am ready, head butting her in the chest.

I'm not pulling mine, either. Fairs fair.

Lightning fast jabs, sudden twists and snaps of the wrists.

I let this continue for a while, but when her strength starts to flag, I start to fight.

Really fight.

A kick to the back of her knees, a shove of the back. And she's down. I plant a restraining foot on her back.

"Yield." I growl, surprised at my own ferocity.

Kate spits something out. "Fine you win."

"I know. Just wanted to make sure you did." I allow her to stand. "Where'd you learn to fight like that, anyway? Whoever taught you neglected to teach you to keep your claws to yourself." I try for a smile.

She grins. "Where I come from, you have to fight you way to the top. You don't do that by holding back."

"Fair enough. It was the Rogues, right? Your group?" An inkling of a whisper of an idea is forming in my mind. A way to bring the ZSS back, if we ever left.

"That's right. You're still coming back with me, you know." Her arrogance didn't take a beating when the rest of her, apparently.

I sit down in a rock, chuckling lowly. "Let's say I do, just for the exercises sake. Let's say I go back with you, and we meet your group. What would they want from me?"

"First off, Connor'll want answers. About who you are, where you came from, and who trained you. Oh, and where you trying to go. And then he'll want your loyalty." Kate puts her hands on her hips, bold and brash.

"Yeah, that's not happening." I dust my clothes off. "But I'll go with you. For a while, at least."

She's not stupid. Her eyes narrow. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

Time to get the pity party started. "I've got people back home depending on me. I'd never pass up an opportunity to help them."

She accepts that silently, and leads me deeper in the forest, away from the ZSS.