Go Somewhere

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I put my paws on Judy's shoulders. "Slow down, Carrots. Say it all back, slowly, and from the beginning." I joke, feeling lighter and happier than I have in weeks. Her energy and enthusiasm are infectious.

She laughs, throwing her pint sized arms around me.

"Not here." She looks around, and I realize that there are a multitude of faces staring, smiling, and whispering over us. "Not in front of everyone. Do you know anywhere where we can be alone?"

I grin. "Thought you'd never ask, half-pint." I pick her up, bridal style. "Hold on."

She wraps her arms around my neck, swings her large feet, and rests her head on my chest. It's when she does little things, gestures, like this that I can FEEL a physical force, speeding my heart up, forcing my blood to boil. I've never loved anyone or anything like I've learned to love her.

Sure, I've had a couple other girlfriends, a few short term and two more serious. I'm by no means new to infatuation. But with Judy, it's different. I don't feel like I'm performing, putting on an act. I simply am.

And that's entirely new to me. I've always hid behind a charade, but it's impossible to fake it with her. It's exhilarating and terrifying, all at once.

Now, I know you probably get tired of hearing me spout on and on about how much I love her, but after our world went kaput, you realize that you have to hold on with your claws and teeth to what you love. Talking about it is more of a reassurance that its real. So forgive me for doing so.

I carry her out, and glare at a couple of mammals who just so happen to want fresh air at the exact moment Judy and I exit the doors. Amateurs.

I put Judy down, take her by the paw, and led her through a building with all it's windows broken.

I think it used to be a hotel, and it's got a balcony, way up high, that's relatively glass free. Enough so that you can sit at the edge without having to pick glass out of your hindquarters.

I sit down, forehead and chest pressed against the railing, arms limp at my sides. I've let go of her paw.

"So." I dart a glance at her, then return to looking down. "What did you want to tell me?"