Chapter One

Throughout her life, Scarlett always listened intently to her father's evening tales of pirates. She never grew tired of hearing the repeated stories of brutal swordfights or the rumors of terrifying threats given to captives who never escaped alive. There was an air of mystery about pirates that always plagued her curiosity, and as a child, she obsessed over escaping to the fantasy world that she painted in her mind. As she grew older, though life and maturity decided to dominate the majority of Scarlett's mind, she often wished for adventure, to have the imagination of a child again.

One chilly and damp evening off England's foggy coast, George Hamilton huddled closely to the fire that crackled in the brick fireplace. He was accompanied by his youngest son, Joseph, to whom he was narrating another story. George was the loving, joyous type of father; the kind who would do anything for his children's happiness. He was often bringing home gifts or singing them to sleep as young children. And, of course, telling the new narratives he overheard while in the town.

"George, for the last time, please don't fill the childrens' heads with myths. How many have you been telling Joseph today?" Catherine's exasperated voice trailed from the kitchen where she was preparing dinner. This was a frequent complaint in the Hamilton household whenever she heard him telling one of his pirate tales, which she believed were unrealistic. Catherine was the type of mother who was apprehensive about certain things that snuck into the minds of her children, leading to wrong conclusions about things that were best to be avoided entirely. Living on a coastline often visited by pirates put his stories on the top of her list.

"These are not myths, Catherine; they are true," he replied defensively.

"That makes them all the worse!" she said.

Startling the family, the front door burst open, letting a mad rush of bitter air fly into the cottage. "Oh! Hurry, shut the door quickly!" Catherine exclaimed as she quickly ushered her children into the house they were struggling to keep warm. Scarlett and her eldest brother William had just arrived from closing up the shop.

George owned a bakery. It took many years to set up his little shop and support his family, but with hard work and endurance, he made it the successful family business. All the locals came regularly, either as customers or just to visit with the outgoing man that George was. William worked alongside his father every day, as he was heir of the business, while Scarlett gave a helping hand selling goods or delivering them personally to customers' homes. Her workload was no simple task, however. When she wasn't at the bakery, she helped Catherine keep the household in order, which included assisting Joseph with his schooling.

As George resumed his storytelling, now accompanied by William, Catherine pulled Scarlett aside. "I'm so glad you're home! I have so much work to do! Joseph is struggling with his schooling, your father's shirts need mending, the garden needs to be raked, and I've hardly started preparing dinner-"

"Mother, let me finish preparing dinner while you mend father's shirts. We can start with that," Scarlett reassured her stressing mother with a grin. Catherine agreed to the idea and departed immediately to fetch George's shirts. Scarlett turned her attention to the diminutive sitting room and paused to listen to the new story her father had to share. She recalled her mother's constant complaining about these tales creating romanticized views of pirates in her childrens' heads. Obviously, her father disregarded her disapproval and continued to entertain his children - and Scarlett appreciated that.

Shaken from her thoughts, Scarlett heard Catherine entering the room to join the family and start sewing, so she immediately turned to cook. She didn't want her mother to suspect that she still treasured her father's tales. Always apprehensive that her mother would ban them from the household, she hid any desire she had for them. Instead, Scarlett eavesdropped, deceiving her mother into thinking she had finally raised her daughter properly.