24- Over And Over Again

The song for this chapter is one of my absolute favorites: Over and Over Again by Nathan Sykes

--------------------------------------------

Annabeth's POV

It was starting to get dark, and we were still roaming around Coney Island. I haven't had this much thrill and fun for years. We're so care-free that it's scary that tomorrow I'd have to wake up to go back to reality. Back to school, where everyone I knew from my past and present are mixed in.

After we left the carnival games area, we decided to drop off the dolphin and owl in the car. Percy didn't want to carry it, of course. We came back in to finish going around Coney Island, since we only went through most of the rides and the carnival area.

"It's Sunday, right?" Percy asked. I wanted to sarcastically thank him for reminding me that tomorrow is a school day. Not that I'm sad that I would go back to learning. I weakly nodded at him, and his eyes lit up.

"C'mon, I don't think it started yet," he said, grabbing my hand and walking to a direction I don't even know.

"What hasn't started?" I asked. Percy looked at his phone to check the time.

"The karaoke," he casually said. Sometimes, I have no idea where his head is at. Karaoke? If he sang at a karaoke, then people will start recognizing him.

I tugged my arm back. "What? Do you want to get caught?" He stopped mid-step and grinned at me.

"Who said we're singing?" He said in amusement. "I'm trying to keep you on your toes Wise Girl."

I grumbled at him. Percy always confused me. That's saying something. He can be predictable to me most of the time, but at times, I need to guess what he'll do. He grabbed my hand back and led me around the boardwalk through crowds of people. As we walked, he kept checking his phone.

I found it amazing how he did all of this today. He woke up at 6 am, bought tickets for the Empire State Building online, borrowed Frank's car, drove to my house, took me to Empire State, and now we're here. No one has done so much effort to do this for me. I find it sweet. He sure knows how to keep someone on their toes.

He stopped, but still held my hand. We stopped at a small indent on the boardwalk. It was right next to the beach. There was a small gazebo that had people setting up sound equipment. The area was filled with fairy lights that lit brightly, creating a fantasy look. There were some tables and chairs near the railings. Not too many people were there. Some stood near the gazebo, some sat down on the chairs. It was beautiful.

We walked towards the chairs and sat there, waiting for someone to sing.

"You'd be surprised at how many people, who are very good, sing here," Percy said, looking at the gazebo intently. The way he said it was so genuine and so real, it made me wonder what was it about this place that made him speak like that.

"You come here often?" I asked, suddenly interested in this topic. Percy smiled and looked at me.

He fiddled with his hands. "This is where it all began. This was my very first "stage", I guess. Before I posted videos of myself singing, I would sing here and rock out with my guitar, at times."

I could imagine Percy, who wasn't a superstar yet, rocking out here, singing songs, and doing what he loves. This place was special to him. I could tell, when we first stepped foot in Coney Island.