48- Butt-dial

Percy's POV

I didn't hear her speak at all. All I heard were grunts and low moans.

Maybe she butt-dialed me? I thought to myself. Excitement suddenly washed away, when there wasn't a word spoken. A moment where I'm not that busy and can finally answer, only to find out that she butt-dialed me. Wow. I brought the phone away from me-

"No." I quickly placed the phone back, feeling giddy to hear her voice. "Stay with me."

"Of course, I'm not that bu-" I replied. A grin started to form and at the corner of my eye, I saw Grover smiling at me.

"Always," a familiar, accented voice said. My eyebrows furrowed. I felt my grin fade away.

A million questions bombarded my head. Where is she? What is Mark doing? No. Scratch that. What are they doing? Where are they? Why are they talking like that? What the hell is going on?

I scoffed at myself. Who am I kidding? I knew Mark was going to take advantage of the fact that I'm gone. I'm all away across the world. He's right there next to her. Who knows they could be in bed? Then there's those grunts and moans- No. What the fuck am I saying? Annabeth is not like that. She wouldn't do that.

"I-" I hung up, afraid of what she'll say next. I placed my head in my hands. I suddenly felt like I'm trapped in a box, unable to breathe. That's how I sat. I sat like a kid that was put at the corner to think about what he's done. Except I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything. I let him get her. I handed her to him. I left and didn't even warn him off. All I did was say my farewell and place a necklace on her neck. A necklace won't keep him off of her.

The only thing I don't understand is why would Annabeth say those things to him, especially when she called me. Did she intentionally call me to make me hear? Or did she just butt-dial me?
An animal-like growl escaped my mouth.

"What happened to you?" Grover sauntered towards me. "You were just grinning. Now, you're... that."

"Grover, talk to me like a friend here. Not as a manager," I muttered. His smile faded, and he sat next to me.

"Okay, go ahead."

"What would you do if you hear Juniper saying things through the phone that's not meant for you?"

"What kind of things?"

I sighed in frustration. "Like 'Stay with me' or something like that... and you hear another voice, a guy's voice, saying 'Always'."

"I would think of the possible and rational reasons as to why I would hear this," he said. He looked at me with concern. He knew where this question came from.

"But there's no other possible reason! There's only one... and that's called cheating!"

"Tell me. Would Annabeth ever cheat on you?"

I knew the answer to that. "No."

"Then there's your answer. She's not cheating on you. There's another reason," he patted my knee. "Did she sound drunk?"

I scoffed. "She never drinks. I tried to get her a drink after prom. The can didn't even come close to her because she threw it away." I laughed, but it sounded more like a sob. I miss her.