39- Psychic

Annabeth's POV

After Percy's reveal and "promposal", Percy started walking around school without his wig and his colored-contacts. Certainly word has gone out by now that Percy's attending at Goode.  Since people started to figure out the misunderstanding of the pictures taken in Central Park of Percy and I, less notes have been ending up in my locker.

I walked in Architecture class with a little bounce in my step. I sat next to Mark, who looked at me weirdly.

"Someone's happy," he said, taking his sketches and blueprints out of his backpack.

"I saw you over there, standing. You looked so... Uninterested," I said. He looked down for a moment, then he shook his head and looked at me. It was as if he was contemplating on what to say.

"Do Americans do that kind of stuff?" He said, scrunching up his face.

"What? Promposals?" He nodded. "Plenty of people do it, yeah."

"Ah," was all he said. "And your boyfriend... Is not actually Peter, which explains the pictures."

"Yes," I said, not knowing what to say next. This is the first time I've had to talk about it to another person, who hasn't heard the full story. Talking to Mark about this felt like a weight had been taken off my shoulder. I don't need to be careful with my words as much as I used to.

He flashed a grin. "See? That's why I didn't judge you right away."

I rolled my eyes. I took out my blueprints and sketches, and we both got to work. The teacher commended Mark and I for our excellent work.

"Both of you have gotten your parent's talent for architecture," she had said.

I turned to Mark. "Your parents are architects, right?" I asked curiously. I remembered that Mark had told me that one or both of his parents are famous architects, like Mom. I just forgot if it was one or both of his parents.

"Just my dad," he said, erasing a bit of his sketch. I nodded. I went back to work, but I accidentally knocked off my pencil sharpener, splattering pencil shavings all over the floor.

Great job, I cursed at myself.

Mark and I bent down to pick them up. I reached for the pencil sharpener, and Mark did too. His hand went over mine, and it stayed there for a second.

He coughed. "Sorry," he mumbled. He took his hand off mine and helped me pick the rest up.

"Thanks..." I said, but he just gave me a slight nod and went back to work. I could've sworn his eyes flashed a hint of sadness.

-

"Annabeth," Piper said. "You have to come with Hazel and I!"

"To where?" I asked, putting some books in my locker.

"To my Mom's office," she said excitedly. "She told me that she wants to help pick out our prom dresses."

I groaned. "Piper... I don't want to be a Barbie doll."

She rolled her eyes at me. "You won't be," I gave her a knowing look. "Maybe a little, but it'll save you money." I hesitated. She smirked. "I'll give you a discount?"

She said it like a discount will change my mind, but it's kind of working. A lot of decent prom dresses are expensive, and I don't want to take so much time browsing through stores just to find one dress. At least this way, Aphrodite can pick out a dress that I look decent in and get a discount. Besides, I heard that Jason, Percy, Leo, Frank, Stolls, and Nico were going to get their tuxes tomorrow.

Hopefully she doesn't make me wear pink, I shuddered.

"Fine, but no pink dresses," I gave in. She jumped.

"Yes! No pink dresses, promise," she enthusiastically said. I took out my phone and texted Mom and Percy that I would be going to Aphrodite's office to get a prom dress. Piper waited for me to finish getting stuff out of my locker. Next to me, Mark came to his locker and opened it.

"Hey, Mark," I said. He looked at me and smiled. His hazel eyes flickered towards Piper and gave her a nod. He went back to taking books out his locker. I closed my locker, and Piper and I left him.

Piper started jumping. "He's here! The guy we saw from the fashion show is here! He's also handsome. Not my type, of course. Jason is more handsome."

I gave her a weird look. Then, I looked at her confusingly. "He's been here for almost a week."

She stopped in her tracks. "How come I've never seen him before until today?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because he spends his time by himself either in the architecture classroom or in the cafeteria?"

"Ah," she said, nodding her head. "He's like you... A nerd."

I rolled my eyes at her. "He's the only person that I have a lot of similarities with."

"Tss- tss," she shook her head. "Does Percy know about this?"

"What does Percy have to do with him?" I asked. "And yes he knows that Mark is here."

She gave me a look. "I know you know what happened between Percy and Mark during the fashion show. Percy basically glared at him! Percy doesn't like Mark because he thinks that Mark is going to steal you away from him."

My mind flashed back to the accident with the pencil shavings. Mark looked sad and didn't talk to me afterwards.
Then the time when Percy saw Mark and I in the hallway after Rachel's reveal. Percy took me, and Mark went back to the cafeteria. Also, the time where Percy hurriedly came towards me when Mark talked to me.

I shook the thought away. "Piper, it's nothing. Don't get all assuming."

She just shook her head. "Fine, but I warned you. I can smell an upcoming rivalry between those two."

I tried to not get suspicious about what she said. "What are you now? A psychic?"

She smiled. "Sure. Now, come on. Hazel's waiting for us. Also, we don't want to keep my mom waiting or else she will put you in a pink dress."

I let her drag me, but my thoughts have been overrun by what Piper had said.

--------------------------------------------
Oooh, Piper senses a rivalry coming. Mark also seems a bit distant at times. I wonder why...

So, my friend horriblecalum messaged me that Secrets was #720 on the charts yesterday. Also, this book reached 31k reads today! Oh my gods! I can't help but freak out over this. 720 might not seem like a good enough number, but this is huge. I can't believe Secrets even made below than 1000! Thank you, thank you so much for the support and love for this book. It means so much to me that it's growing this much. I love you guys!

I hope all of you stay till the very end because it will be amazhang! Feel free to leave comments.

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS BESIDES MARK COLLINS!

Vote and comment 💙

-Brainy_dolphin <3