42- Like Calls to Like

*Quick little warning: there is a make-out scene in this chapter, so if you do not like that kind of stuff then don't read this chapter.

-

Percy's POV

I had left Annabeth to go to the bathroom because I accidentally spilled some soup on my lap. I know. I'm clumsy. But as I finished cleaning myself up, I ran into Rachel. She was coincidentally right outside the bathroom door, as if she was waiting for me.

"Hi, Percy," she said, letting my name roll out longer.

"Um, hi. Uh...I have to go-"

"Wait, no," she said and grabbed my arm. "Let's talk for a minute. No need to rush back to your hoe of a girlfriend."

I swatted her hand away from my arm. "Excuse me? Annabeth is not a hoe. Besides, why are you so eager to talk to me now?"

She gave me a look. "Please. You're popular. You are Percy Jackson. You shouldn't be with her. You're always in the spotlight, while she likes to stray away from it. I am eager to be in the spotlight. I have always been."

I blinked. I can't believe this was Annabeth's friend. I thought to myself.

"Like calls to like, Percy," she said, tracing a finger along my jaw. I swatted her finger away. I swear, she is part fly because I just keep finding myself swatting her away.

"And you call Annabeth an opportunist," I said in disgust, "You are an opportunist. Look at yourself. You feed off of people's imperfections. Chasing after guys. Luke, then me-"

"Oh, Percy. Both of you are blind. Blinded by her. I'm just trying to help. I snapped Luke out of it, but he found Annabeth and begged for forgiveness. I had to keep him close to me, but he left," she spat. "Weak."

"Luke left... To where?" I asked. She waved her hand around dismissively.

"To Greece. He wanted to have time on his own," she said. "That's not the point. The point is that you and Annabeth are different-"

"Opposites attract," I said defensively. "Not everything goes by 'like calls to like'."

"You two have different paths. She has a different future career. You have a different career. She's practical. She'll do what she has to do to achieve her longest dream. You certainly don't want to be the one who's holding her back." Rachel smirked. She came close to me. Close enough that I could hear her breathing. "Tell me when you're through."

She turned and left, leaving me leaning against the bathroom door. Luke left for Greece. Like calls to like. Different paths. The one who's holding her back. Her words had started spinning in my head.

I sighed and wiped my hand across my face. I rounded the corner and found Annabeth's seat empty. To my right, Travis and Connor were in front of the chocolate fountain, dipping their sticks with strawberries in.

"Do you know where Annabeth went?" I yelled over the music. I took a chocolate-dipped strawberry and ate it. They pointed towards the far corner. Only two people stood there: Mark and Annabeth. I walked towards them. They were staring at each other. Like calls to like, Rachel's words popped into my mind.

Annabeth and Mark are somewhat alike. Both have the passion for architecture. Both are wise, I thought to myself. I shook the thought away. I can't play the jealous boyfriend. The jealous boyfriend always loses, I chided.