49- Surprise Visit

Percy's POV

I stood in front of the building, staring at it. After some convincing, Grover and the rest of my management team let me spend my week of break back in New York rather than in Germany.

When I arrived on the front steps of my house, Mom and Paul's faces were a mixture of shock, confusion, and happiness. I haven't told anyone else that I was back home. Not Annabeth. I wanted to see her when she's not expecting it or maybe I was expecting something.

I shook the thought away and walked through the doors. John greeted me and given me a lift to Annabeth's floor, without sending a warning to Annabeth.

Huh. Maybe she didn't want to keep getting asked if I can come up, I thought to myself.

"I thought you were at tour," he said.

"Had a week of break and decided to come back here," I said casually. He looked at me weirdly, but didn't say anything else after that. With every floor number that lights up closer to Annabeth's floor, I started to get nervous. When this door opens, what would await me? I was definitely expecting something. Something that made my stomach churn.

The doors opened and sure enough, I saw Mark and Annabeth sitting on the couch. When they turned around, Annabeth jumped up and hugged me, while Mark stayed where he was. I tried my best not to put on a sad look and forced myself to smile and hug her tight.

Even though I knew what was happening between them, I can't help myself. I love the way we hug. How she has to tiptoe to wrap her arms around my neck. The feel of her waist on my hands. We are a perfect fit, but I guess she had a different idea. I tucked my nose in the crook of her neck. Her hair still smelled like lemons. She still wore the necklaces I gave her.

She's still the same person on the outside, but what about the inside? I asked myself. I shook the thought away when Annabeth let go.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. Her eyes were wide with shock.

I made a face. "Seems like you don't want me here." She playfully shoved me, barely moving my body.

"I'm just surprised to see you." Her gaze softened. "I miss you."

I gulped. "I miss you, too."

-

Mark is making me become more and more irritated, the longer I stayed in Annabeth's apartment. Apparently, I walked in in the middle of their "sketching-building-time". Of course, I sat with them. In between them. They had to talk past me. I tried to look interested. Constantly nodding at what they were saying, even though I was clueless.

"Her mom cooks the best food that I have ever tasted," Mark said, trying to get me involved in their conversation.

"I know. I've tried them before," I bitterly said. Annabeth gave me a death glare. Mark nodded and coughed. Suddenly, we were engulfed in silence, besides the sound of pencils' lead on paper.

"Um... I'll go down to John. I think I forgot to tell him something. I'll be right back." Mark awkwardly left, giving Annabeth and I space to talk. If I didn't dislike him, I would thank him for choosing to leave.

"What is wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with you?" I retorted. She scrunched her eyebrows and glared.

"Look. If you came here to make an attitude on Mark and I, then you need to go home and take a rest," she snapped.

"I came here to see you. I didn't come here to see him."