Chapter 3

Elizabeth's POV

"Lizzie!" I hear someone call my name and I immediately wake up. "Lizzie, you're gonna be late!" My mom walks into my room.

"Sorry, mom!" I get out of bed.

"You have 15 minutes before the bus, hon." She walks out. I nod and grab a gray cardigan, white tank top and black skinny jeans from my closet and throw them on. Even though Australia is kind of hot, I still wear long sleeves. I brush my hair and put on my glasses. I grab my bag and phone and run out the door. I forgot to put on my bracelets, but since I'm wearing a cardigan, I didn't think much of it.

I run down the block and to my bus stop. I arrive two minutes before the bus arrives, thank God. When the bus arrives, I pay the fee and get on and sit in the back with my earbuds plugged in. I sigh quietly to myself as it drives off to school.

When I arrive, I get off the bus and take my earbuds out, stuffing them into my book bag. I walk up to school and open to doors. I am asked for school ID like always and I show it.

"Here goes another day." I whisper to myself as I walk upstairs to my locker.

I reach my locker and grab my books I needed and put away the ones I didn't need. I turn around to see Michael, by himself this time, and smirking. Knowing the drill, I hand him his homework. But this time he didn't walk away. Michael took my books and threw them on the ground. I look up at him, my eyes wide and I slowly bend down to pick them up. I feel the sleeves of my cardigan roll up a bit as I pick up my books.

"Wait...I'm sorry...let me help you." I look up to see Michael, bending down and helping me. His green eyes seemed to have softened as we made eye contact. I was confused. Why the hell is he helping me? This had to be some sort of joke, right?

Michael handed me my books and helped me up, which made me even more confused.

"Thank you." I say in almost a whisper. He nodded and walked away, with his hands in his pockets, leaving me puzzled.

Michael's POV

When I threw Elizabeth's book's on the ground, it did not go as planned. I watched as she picked them up and her sleeves rolled up. I saw cuts, they looked new. A sick and uneasy feeling washed over me. She was just like me, but I was probably the cause of why she was like me. I had a pit in my stomach. I felt so guilty. I was the cause of this girl's pain. When I put it that way, it makes me sound like an ass, and that's how I felt.

"Wait...I'm sorry...let me help you." I bent down and helped her. I looked Elizabeth in the eyes. Through her glasses, I saw her hazel eyes were questioning me. She probably thought I was joking or something. I handed Elizabeth her books and helped her up. Her hand was so small compared to mine. It was a bit shaky as well.

"Thank you." Elizabeth said in a small voice. I nod and walk to my Trigonometry class.

Elizabeth's POV

The whole morning , I wondered why Michael helped me. Not one time has Michael ever been nice to me. Now, it was time for lunch. I walk to the library and greet Ms. Winchester, like always. I sit down and eat as I read.

About 10 minutes later, I hear footsteps, but I pay no mind. I hear Ms. Winchester and someone whispering for a bit, until the voice got louder.

"What do you mean you can't help me?"

I look up and see Michael with paper in his hand, looking frustrated. "You're a librarian!"

"Look, Mr. Clifford, I know I'm a librarian, but my job is to read and recommend, not write about, maybe Elizabeth can help you." She sighed. I swallow and look at Michael who is already looking at me. Michael walked over to me and sat down next to me.

"Sup?" He greeted me.

"H-hi. Uh, what do you need um help with?" I ask, shyly. Michael put a paper in front of us.

"I don't understand what 'analyze the conflict' means." He grumbled, a bit embarrassed because I learned this in middle school, meaning he probably did too.

"Oh, um it means just to recognize and explain the conflict." I say. Michael smiled a bit. Wow, he was being really nice.

"Thanks. Also, uh what does this mean?"

And I explain it.

"Uh, why are you asking me to help usually when I do your homework?" I ask, quietly and blushed. Michael shrugged.

"I just feel sorry for the way I've been treating you." Michael admitted. I didn't question him and I just nodded.

Then the bell rung. Michael got up. I get up and begin to walk to chemistry. Michael catches up to me.

"Hi." He grinned.

"Hi." I say, quietly. Maybe Michael wasn't so bad after all.

We walk together and went into class. Luke was already seated and Michael sat next to him. I sat in front of Luke and began to do my work.

"See, dude I told you she wasn't bad."

"Sh! And I know...she's actually really nice."

"What made you talk to her?"

"I'll explain later. The teacher's here."

I smile to myself. And maybe Michael wasn't as big as a jerk as I thought.