Chapter 7

Elizabeth's POV

After school, Michael offered to take me to his house so I can tutor him. I agreed and we walked to the school parking lot where there was a beat up, black and red motorcycle in a parking space. The headlights were crooked, the metal parts were dented and chipped and the seats were torn up. I swallow nervously, afraid he was a reckless driver and that he could possibly kill us both. Michael grinned at me and gave me a helmet. I took off my glasses, putting them in my bag and put it on, it was way to big at first but Michael adjusted the straps so it would fit correctly and lessen my chance of getting a concussion. He put on his own and hopped on his bike. I hesitantly get on and hold on to his waist. Michael flashes me one last smile before starting up the bike.

"Hold on, sweetheart, this is going to be quite a ride." He says before pushing on the gas and speeding into the busy street.

"Michael, are you going past the speed limit?" I ask, cool, Australian November wind blowing in my face as we pass a speed limit sign that states the limit is 30 mph, but I clearly felt that we were going faster than that.

"Yup! Hey, the worst that can happen is for me to get a ticket!" He laughs, picking up the pace a little as we receive dirty looks from adults in passing cars. Michael flipped some of them off as he sped off the highway and gradually into a small neighborhood. Michael finally slowed down once he reached a small house and parked in the driveway. It was a lot smaller than my house, it kind of looked like a two floor condo. I take off my helmet and put it down onto the seat and Michael did the same. He ran a hand through his helmet hair and adjusted his bag. I put on my glasses and I can finally see better. I blink a couple times to adjust my vison. Michael smiled at me as he walked to the front door and unlocked it. He walked inside and I follow, shyly. Once I walk in, I am welcomed into a foyer room that led into as small kitchen and the smell of food.

"Hi, mum!" Michael greets his mother, kissing her on the cheek. His behavior was much different at home than at school.

"Hello, Michael. And who might this be?" She said, referring to me.

"That's Elizabeth, she's gonna be helping me study and stuff." Michael smiled. His mom nodded and smiled at me. I shyly smile back and Michael grabs my hand.

"We're gonna be upstairs." He leads me to his room and I wave to him mom before coming along.

Once we reach his room, I am greeted by the scent of smoke, cheap cologne, and...syrup? I wrinkle my nose a bit and try to ignore it. I look around and see posters on his wall of bands my dad listens to. There is a bunch of random stuff on his floor. I look to the corner and see an acoustic and electric guitar, leaning against each other. His bed is unmade and his walls are painted gray. He has a TV on his wall and his desk is covered in who knows what. His room was very different from mine.

"Welcome to my man cave!" Michael exclaims, flopping backwards onto his bed. I giggle a bit and set my bag down and look at him. He sits up and smiles at me. "Let's get started."

I nod as Michael walked over to his desk and pushed everything off and sat down, pulling another one next to him. I sat down as Michael pulled out his books and put them on his desk. Michael pulled out all his homework.

"Help." He said.

"Uh, okay lets start with trig." I say as Michael whined.

"I fucking hate math."

Nobody in my house curses much so I'm not really used to this, but it looks like I'm gonna have to.

Michael's POV

Liza begins to explain my math homework to me.

"I just don't get it." I say, frustrated and running a hand through my hair, stressed as she explains the same problem to be for the past 10 minutes. Liza takes the hand in my hair and puts it on the desk.

"I know its hard, Michael but you'll get good! Okay, now let's try again..." Liza begins to explain the problem in a soft and soothing voice. I watch her pale pink lips as she talks and her small hands glide on the paper. I pay attention as much as I can to her.

"Do you get it now?" She asks. I nod.

"I think so."

I try the problem and Liza smiled.

"Good job!"

I smile widely, feeling proud of myself.

"Now try the rest."

And I did. I got them all right. Liza smiled even more.

"See? I knew you could do it."

"Thanks." I smile, as we begin the rest of my homework.

**********

We finish at around 10 and I offer Liza a ride home, but she said she could walk. She lived 5 minutes away from me. Liza hugged me, for the first time before she left and walked out the door. I think I'm finally beginning to earn her trust.