5. START OF MISERY

[ONE YEAR-SIX MONTHS EARLIER]

Rushing out of the decrepit library, I clutched the textbooks I'd borrowed to my chest. Elbowing the flimsy timber door, I pushed out onto the cracked pavement. The constant buzz of my mobile forced me to balance the heavy books I'd waited several months to borrow. The librarian's impatient glares had kept me from answering inside the desolate building— as though my hushed mobile conversation would have disrupted the depressing silence she coveted. The place was a ghost town, excluding the several mice I'd spotted burrowing through the thin plaster walls and of course the crypt keeper looking bitch of a librarian.

Muttering a string of curses, I braced the books against my hip— struggling to hold them up as I dug into my back pocket and retrieved my phone. Groaning I yanked the damn device from the tight denim slot. Swiping across the screen, I hastily answer my best friend— who must have been dying on account of the consecutive quick-fire rings she'd been dropping. Wedging my mobile between my ear and shoulder, I fingered the keys in my front pocket. "Mace, what's going on? Why are you trying to blow my phone up?"

She replied with a whiny 'where are you?' Rolling my eyes, I stepped off the curb and began to cross the wide road. "Mace, I'm on my way— I swear. I needed to get these fucking books." Muttering 'nerd' over the line, she sighed. "Whatever, nothing wrong with getting a head start on finals." I commented, vaguely registering a distant roar of a powerful engine. I'd misjudged the distance epically, flipping suddenly I caught a glimpse of a matte black vehicle charging towards me— the road shuddered beneath it's assault as it shredded concrete.

As I threw my arms over my face— somehow hoping it would lessen what I knew would be a bone shattering injury— my books and phone came crashing down around me. The sole breath I'd managed to suck in on a gasp, lodged itself in my throat. Twisting my upper body away, I prayed it would be swift and relatively painless— out cold, I'd prefer it to be quick. The scent of rubber burning, skidding against the rough road, forced me to grit my teeth.

Noticing that I hadn't been smashed to pieces or flattened beneath the wheels of a V8 Mustang, I lowered my arms shakily. My lungs emptied suddenly, my hands settling over my heaving chest— the organ within racing faster than the fucker inside the Mustang had been. Dropping my arms abruptly, I slammed my palms down on the hood of the asshole's ride. "Drive much!" Kicking the front of his car, I cleared the mess of hair sprawled across my face.

The engine's raw hum remained prominent and the bastard inside, unmoving. The tinted windows insured I couldn't see the jerk, strangely I could feel him watching. "Fucking asshole." Glaring through the front screen, I ground my molars together. My jaw dropped when the fucker revved his engine several times. Flipping him off with both hands; collecting my books, phone and keys off the dark grey road I stormed towards my ute— fuming at the dickhead's audacity; not even a fucking apology. Tossing my books onto the ragged leather covering my passenger seat before slumping into my ratty seat, I released a shaky breath.

The strangest sensation shot through me— glaring into that tinted window— it was like a sharp jolt of electricity, that left my body tingling in its wake. Knowing it had to have been the aftershock of almost meeting my maker, I jammed my key into the ignition. Dropping my mobile into the glovebox, I started the truck— strapping my belt on as I pulled away from the curb. The entire drive to Kyle's race, I couldn't shake the damn feeling. I wasn't a pussy, over the span of my life I'd gotten good at brushing almost anything off; so why couldn't I fucking stop thinking about that fucker?!

Slamming my palm down on the wheel, I pulled up near a sporty Mazda. Raking my fingers through my hair, I shrugged my cardigan off— the cute little V-neck bralette top Macy had gotten me paired with almost anything denim. The white and green floral design gave off a sweet but sexy vibe and I enjoyed how convenient the little outfit was for events like this. Readjusting the thin strapped flats I wore, I climbed out of the vehicle and locked it.