34. PREY OF MISERY

Flicking away the lone tear that slid down my cheek, I cleared my throat. Dropping his phone, he turned slowly. Swallowing audibly, he moved to take a step towards me. Sliding across the wall, I b-lined for the bedside table where I kept my charger. "Just needed to grab my charger." I rushed out. Pulling my loose wire from the draw I hurried towards the exit. Rayne's muscular form blocked my path, slamming into his bare chest I gasped.

Catching my elbow he kept me pressed against himself. Looking away uncertain of what to do, I struggled slightly. "I went too far-" breaking out of his hold I rolled my eyes. I no longer had any tolerance for his brooding ways. If he could confidently yell at me without a single fucking stutter, then he could damn well apologise with the same enthusiasm.

"Yes, I am aware-thank you for once again informing me of the obvious- still doesn't count as an apology." Curving around him I stalked towards the door. Slamming shut before I could escape, the large wooden frame blocked my path.

Reaching over my shoulder, Rayne's solid body kept me trapped. Closing my eyes, I rocked forward into the door. "That cop lady told me..." his jaw clicked, unable to continue past the rage he was suppressing. "I'm sorry." His raspy voice grazed the side of my neck; his brawny arm sliding around my waist. "If I could apologise for all the times I'll fuck up-in advance- I would." Softening, his voice disappeared into my skin as his heated lips descended on my shoulder. "I need you..."

Forcing my eyes open, I blinked past the tears. Neither of us were prepared for the physical and emotional strain of whatever this was between us. This much was clear from the very start. Wanting each other was one thing, but needing each other was something far more dangerous.

Slipping out from under him, I backed away. "I-I have a class to get to." Rushing out the excuse I took advantage of his shattered stance. Shoving his limp form aside I hurried out of the room. Knowing he wouldn't follow, I collapsed into the kitchen island.

"Bathroom's free if you needa take a piss." Straightening abruptly, I glared up at the love seat. Sprawled across it was a familiar, over grown, boy. His paled features and cracked lips gave away his deathly state. Scrunching his face, he hugged at his lower abdomen.

Moving into the kitchen I got him a glass of water. Cutting up an apple I brought both over to him. "Here. You need to keep hydrated and as much as it pains you, try to eat something." I explained. Scoffing he turned to face the ceiling, throwing an arm over his eyes. Moving around the coffee table, I took a seat on the edge. "Raphael, keeping hydrated helps. Fruit carries the vitamins you need and it digests easier than something heavy."

Raising the glass to his lips, I waited. Rolling his eyes he continued the bravado; casually lifting his neck off the armrest. Cupping the base of his neck I helped to support his head as he skulled the refreshing liquid- only then realising how thirsty he really was. Smiling I handed him the bowl of apple pieces. "Keep drinking water." I instructed, turning to place the glass on the table.

Tensing, I stood abruptly. Rayne's tall frame stood leaning into the kitchen island. The look of content vanished when he noticed I'd seen him. Clenching my jaw, I walked towards the door. "Gia-" ignoring him I crossed the lawn, climbing into my vehicle I keyed the ignition.

Pulling away from the curb, I glanced at my rear view mirror as he filled it.

Returning to the dorms I got settled in, busying myself with assessments I didn't give much thought to anything else. In all honesty I was plain exhausted. My stomach growled in protest, shooting a look at the time I winced. Making my way across the campus, I filed into the cafeteria.