7. DINING WITH MISERY

I'd never really been good with trust. Only very few people in my life had ever earned my trust, I gave it so sparingly. Looking up into his expectant emerald orbs, I clenched my thighs together. My body wanted to appease him and on some level, I wanted to trust him. My past traumas forced my head to shake, no, in response. I physically couldn't let anyone else in, mentally I wouldn't survive the aftermath of any further suffering. Giving someone that power over me again would ultimately destroy me. "No." My voice caught in my throat in a desperate attempt to stop me from denying him my trust.

Tensing he straightened enough to give me some space. Clenching his jaw firmly, he gripped my hand once more. Leading me around the long vehicle, he opened the passenger side door. Watching me cautiously, he gently nudged me forward. Climbing into the seat, I stiffened against the pristine leather behind me. Closing the door with a rough thud, he moved to the drivers side of the vehicle in a few short strides. Ducking into the vehicle, he plunged the key into the ignition.

The engine growled to life, like a beast. The interior was awe inspiring, spacious and uniquely built for speed. Tanks of nitro sat between us, bright blue lights defining the slanted dashboard and an impressive wheel. Revving several times, he let the powerful machine build till it reached an intimidating roar— the sound sent a rush shooting through me. Fisting my hands, I turned in time to catch him staring at me— scanning my features as though he were trying to read in a foreign language. Abruptly reaching across my body, he forced a startled gasp to fall from my lips.

My stomach knotted with a familiar sensation as his thickly veined arm brushed past my chest. Digging my nails into my palms, I pressed further into the seat— slamming my eyes shut. Within seconds I was hit with the pang of displeasure his distance brought. The smooth sash of a thin leather belt replaced his unsettlingly welcomed touch— much to my displeasure. Narrowing his gaze on the open street, he palmed the wheel just as he released the break.

Launching forward the car leapt into motion, Rayne pushed the joystick that controlled each gear change with a skilful elegance. Narrowly shooting past two rather large vehicles, as they pulled away from the curb, he shifted the gears again— commanding the car to curve around a bend with ease. The precision alone left me amazed. Dismissing every red-light that presented an obstacle, he manoeuvred his way through several heavily trafficked, multilane streets. Holding my breath, as the maniac daringly cut through streams of cars, I dug my nails into the padded door handle. We earned several horns from cars swerving out of the way and suddenly breaking.

Missing collisions by the skin of our teeth, I kept my gaze on the cars we zipped past— instinctively driving my right foot into the floor in an attempt to break—  as we curved around sharp bends. My free hand clutching the side of my seat desperately. Slamming his foot down on the clutch, he flicked gears as we shot out onto another street, accelerating further. The force sent my body slamming into the back of my seat, velocity pinning me as we gained impossible speeds. Sharply cutting onto a joining street, he smirked. Our bodies straightened as the heavy vehicle did, humming as we dropped in speed to match the cars around us, allowing me to finally relinquish the breath I'd been withholding.

Swiftly merging with the traffic on a bustling two lane street, he winked in my direction. "Think we lost em?" Breathing heavily, I gripped the dashboard— adrenaline coursing through my veins in overdrive. I'd never experienced such a rush, the sudden release of endorphins made my head spin. Leaning forward, I shook my head.

Laughing, I raked my fingers through my hair. "Are you kidding?! Yeah we fucking lost them!" Chuckling I twisted in my seat and examined my shaking hands. "My hands are shaking." Taking my small hands into his palm, he pulled me closer. "That was...amazing." Twisting my wrists within his hold, I eyed the road nervously. Tilting the wheel slightly, he turned his head towards me. Watching me for several long seconds, he released his grip.