35. ROSSETTI'S OF MISERY

Sweaty and thoroughly fucked, I laid across Rayne's strong body. Tracing the intricate designs of his tattoos, I closed my eyes. What I felt wasn't exactly regret. I hadn't even realised how tightly wound I had been until he'd taken care of it. That being said, sex wasn't the answer.

My moment of weakness had landed me in the racer's bed; without a proper conversation– that I regretted. Having sensed my slight withdrawal, Rayne's arm banded tightly around my torso. "Keeping me here won't fix anything Rayne." I sighed, surprisingly keeping a level head– despite the state I had the most coveted guy in town in.

"Letting you go doesn't either." He stated, sliding his free hand through my hair. Tilting my head back to watch him I nodded. "I crossed a line; I swear that won't happen again." Giving him the chance he'd asked for I let him speak.

Tucking an arm beneath his neck he clenched his jaw. "I can't explain things the way other people can, Skids. I don't want you getting caught up in my shit- it's my responsibility and I'll handle it." Understanding more than either of us had expected me to, I cupped the side of his face.

"You don't have to suffer alone." Rolling my lower lip between my teeth, I pulled up to kiss his jawline. "Even though makeup sex with you is fucking amazing...let's not make a habit of it." Chuckling, he flipped us. Lowering his lips to mine– as his fingers snaked down the side of my body– he kissed me slowly, determined to leave an impression.

Jumping at the sound of a large crash, I looked up at Rayne. Shrugging he persisted to lower the sheets around my waist. "Are you fucking serious?!" Raised voices had us both surging off the bed. Dressing quickly, Rayne passed me my clothes.

Yanking the door open, we both rushed down the hall. Oblivious within euphoric confines of one another we'd completely missed the chaos unfolding outside. Keeping me from the smashed shards of dishes scattered across the floor, Rayne stepped in front of Joey.

Fisting his cousins collar, he shook him once. "What's going on?" He asked sternly. Noticing Raphael, sitting stunned I carefully navigated through the shattered plates and sat by him. Nodding towards the kitchen he drew my attention to Macy.

Tears running down her gorgeous face, she stood paled and defeated. "Her father doesn't know shit, bro!" Joey raised his voice, laughing once without humour. "If you think we're a fling then you have another thing coming." He seethed, something resembling fear cracking through his certainty.

Jerking out of Rayne's hold, he stormed outside. Within seconds the sound of a car revving away from the driveway filled the living room. Breaking down, Macy rushed down the hall. Following, I cautiously stepped through the door she'd slammed moments earlier.

Knees down to her chest, she sat with her face buried in her lap. "Mace..." I started, moving across the dark space to sit by her. "What the hell just happened- you and Joey don't fight." I pointed out. It was the one thing I envied most about their relationship.

Leaning into me, she soaked my shirt sleeve with tears. "He heard me talking to my father." Closing my eyes, I held her closer. "I don't want to lose my family Gia- but I can't lose Joey either." Aching for her, I preyed that Mr Taylor could put his prejudice aside and accept Joey.

Cupping her face, I wiped at the tears staining her beautiful face. "He's your father Mace, at the end of the day he would go to any length for your happiness." Smiling, I tucked her hair behind her ears. "Can't blame him for wanting the best for his little girl." Nodding she gripped my wrists.

"Why can't Joey understand-he has to make it about fucking ego." She cried, her emotions tossing between sadness and rage. "If I was that shallow I would have hooked one of them trust fund fucks that used to roll around town." Chuckling at that I earned a glare from my best friend. "It's insulting- for him to think I'm that shallow."