Chapter 8

Venus' POV
"Everyone, please welcome our new recruit for the Order, Miss Venus Hastings." I heard Dumbledore say as Sirius, Sev, and I entered the room where the meeting would be held.
I smiled, despite how nervous I was. In the eyes of these adults, I was a kid. A student at Hogwarts, who for some reason was being allowed to join the Order of the Phoenix.
The only people I recognized were Mad Eye Moody and Dumbledore. Oh, and Severus of course.
There was a couple with ginger hair who resembled the Weasley twins, so I figured those were Molly and Arthur Weasley, their parents. There was a young girl with pink hair who was smiling at me, amongst others.
I was broken out of my assessment by a smiling face, and a hand to shake.
"It's very nice to meet you, Venus. I'm Remus Lupin." Amidst his tired and worn face, a smile was able to break through. A jagged scar across his face had me wondering how he got it.
I smiled. "It's great to meet all of you."
Severus pulled out a chair for me, and I sat down. He took the seat next to me, and Sirius sat across.
"You're allowing a teenager to join the Order here? How can we be sure she can handle it?" Mad Eye Moody interjected with a growl, his eye staring me down. I refused to cower under it though. I could fight with the best of them.
I looked to Dumbledore, who gave me a look.
I stood up, facing the table, despite my racing heart. I knew at some point I would have to prove myself. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I might as well get it out of the way.
"Teenager, I am not. Trust me, sir, I can handle it." I responded, as I waved my hand, a fireball hovering in it. I shot my hand out, and watched as the fireball blasted across the room. At the last possible second, I twisted my wrist up, and it stopped moving, hovering in mid-air just before it could blow a hole in the wall. With a snap of my fingers, it extinguished.
I looked around the table, and the other members of the Order looked impressed, a couple even a bit shocked. Sirius was smiling up at me, and I couldn't decipher in what way.
"Miss Hastings here can not only achieve wandless magic, she can also manipulate all the elements to her liking."
Dumbledore stopped then, looking to me, as if urging me to say more.
I looked to Severus, who nodded once, indicating I should continue.
I took a breath.
"My power derives not only from my father, but my mother as well." I stated.
Sirius chuckled. "How fascinating. Who is your mother?"
I smiled. "Aphrodite."
Audible gasps rang around the table.
My heart was pounding as I waited for response.
Sirius, of course, was the first to speak. "I don't know about the rest of you lot, but I think Venus will make a great addition to the Order. Maybe a secret weapon, perhaps? After all, her power is out of this world."
I wanted to snort at the obvious pun, but I just smiled in thanks, taking my seat again. Everyone nodded in agreement with Sirius.
With that, the meeting commenced.
******
After the meeting adjourned, Severus and I were the first to make our way towards the door.
"Leaving so soon?"
I turned and a smiling Sirius Black was sauntering up to us. He made sure to ignore Sev, which didn't escape my notice.
I smiled politely back. "Yes. We have things to finish up."
My skin tingled at the light feel of Sev's hand on my back, a reassurance that he was there.
Sirius smiled, and his eyes twinkled mischievously.
"I look forward to seeing you again, Venus."
To my shock, he grasped my hand gently, and placed a farewell kiss of sorts on the top of it.
My eyes widened at his bold attempts, and I could feel Severus tense beside me.
I had a distinct feeling Sirius was doing all of this to get a rise out of Severus.
My other hand, hidden by his black robe, grasped his. I squeezed it in reassurance this time.
Sirius was still smiling and now his cocky gaze was fixed on Severus.
Before another Wizarding War could erupt within 12 Grimmauld Place, I broke the angry tension.
"Thanks for having us, Sirius. See you next time."
With that, I coaxed Severus out the door, and led him as far away from the house as possible.
"That git.." The Potions Master mumbled in disgust.
We stopped in a dark alleyway, and before we apparated, I wrapped my arms around his neck.
"Don't worry, love. I only have eyes for you." I whispered, kissing his cheek.
"It's not you I'm worried about. It's that rotten imbecile of a dog...if he touches you again, it will be the last thing he ever does."
I smirked, running my hands down his chest.
"I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're so enticing when you get protective."
Severus looked down at me, a dark smirk lining his lips. He held out his forearm for me to grab.
"Hold on to me."
I smiled, as I did just that.
"I wasn't planning on letting go."

In a flash, we apparated into the night, and back to Spinner's End.
******