Chapter 12

Venus' POV
It felt like my breath had stopped. I couldn't move. I tried to speak, but I couldn't form the words I wanted to say.
I felt tears starting to fill my eyes, but I blinked them back.
There were a few moments of silence, those in which I felt like everyone in the room was staring at me.
"When?" I asked a bit hoarsely.
Dumbledore gave me a sullen look. "Last night."
I covered my mouth with my hand, the shock getting to me, and to cover up a sob as well.
I had to be strong.
But, I couldn't believe this.
My father was dead. Gone.
I would never see him again, never be able to tell him I loved him, never have his comforting presence there for me when I needed it.
"Who?" I whispered.
"That we are still unsure of." Albus said.
I nodded in understanding.
I stood up abruptly then.
"I need a moment..." I muttered, not waiting for a response from the three men in the room.
I left, and walked down the hallway. I opened the door of 12 Grimmauld Place, and stepped outside.
I sat down on the steps, looking up the night sky, full of stars.
My resolve weakened, and the tears began streaming down my face.
I held my head in my hands as I sobbed for my Dad's death.
After a few minutes, I heard rather than saw the door open, and I felt his comforting presence crouch down beside me, and take me in his arms. I let my emotions go as he held me.
His chin rested on my forehead as he spoke.
"I'm so sorry, Venus." Severus whispered.
I sniffled, wiping my eyes.
Thoughts raced through my mind, one thought in particular clouding it. This caused me to cry harder, and Sev's grip tightened around me, like if he let go I would disintegrate into dust.
"Everything will be alright, I promise." He reassured me, as he kissed my forehead in a loving manner.
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down, but to no avail.
"Will it?" I asked softly, looking up at him now.
He nodded down at me, brushing a strand of messy hair that had fallen from my ponytail, behind my ear.
I sighed.
"Severus....there is something I need to tell you."
He looked at me, the look in his eyes so gentle and reassuring that it drove my next words.
My hand covered my stomach, as I took in a deep, preparing breath.
"I'm pregnant." I said, looking him straight in the eyes as I said it.
He didn't say anything, but I didn't give him a chance.
"I understand if you're mad. I understand the carelessness involved in this. I know you probably aren't ready to be a father, much less with a student, and I'm so sorry, I'm--"
I couldn't finish because his lips had enveloped mine in a sweet kiss, full of the most emotion I'd ever felt radiate from him.
We kissed for a few minutes before pulling away.
His hand caressed my cheek, and a hint of a small smile lined his beautiful lips.
"I couldn't be happier, Venus. We might not be ready, but we'll get through it together. Do not ever think that I will love you any less because of this. If anything, I love you all the more."
I laughed, happy tears filling my eyes this time.
"I'm so glad you feel that way, Severus. To tell you the truth, I was terrified. Still am actually.."
He grasped my chin gently, forcing me to look up at him even deeper.
"No matter what, I will always be here, Venus. Always. You needn't worry."
Severus stated, his eyes never leaving mine.
I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck lightly.
Despite the bad news I received, I felt a glimpse of joy at knowing I had Severus by my side.
There was a comfortable silence as Severus held me.
However, at the back of my mind, sat the overwhelming anger and pain I was feeling. It was then that I made a promise to myself, and to my father.
I would find out who did this, and I would make them pay.
*******