TENTH

RAISON D'ÊTRE
TENTH

WHEN ROME WOKE UP, there had been a guard situated outside her room that told her that Pierce wanted to speak with her and the Winter Soldier. She heard several of her joints crack as she stood from the bed and stripped off her jacket, tossing it on the bed. Crossing her arms over her chest, she stepped out of her room, allowing the guard to lead her through the many hallways. When they finally reached the door, she opened it and her green eyes immediately landed on her soldier.

He was sitting in his usual chair, the machine silent behind him. She took steady steps toward him, watching as a man worked on the metal arm, the occasional spark flying here and there. Rome approached the mechanic, leaning over his shoulder and asking, "What's happened to him?"

"Nothing major," the man said and continued with his work. "I'm almost done recalibrating though."

Rome nodded, moving around to stand beside the Winter Soldier. She kneeled on the other side, grabbing his right hand and holding it tightly between both her hands. "Thank you," she whispered, in a low tone no one but him could hear, and pulled their hands closer to her chest. No one besides the mechanic saw her fond smile and how she pressed a gentle kiss to the Winter Soldier's knuckles.

But the look he was giving her, it wasn't the usual endearing look he'd always give her 一 the one he'd save just for her because she gave him hope, she treated him like he was good. Instead, it was empty. It was more than obvious what the blond man had said had been bugging him. He knew him, or some form of him, and had called him Bucky. Whoever the man to the shield was, he knew her soldier well enough to call him friend, maybe even family. Rome couldn't imagine what he must be thinking; the one link to his forgotten past was his mission, a target he'd been ordered to eliminate.

He was filled with such a quiet and intense rage. Before today, he'd only had silent questions about how he is: had he signed himself away to HYDRA or had they taken him against his will? Hell, he hadn't even asked Rome these questions. It's not like he didn't trust her with it 一 he trusted her with his life 一 but how could he ask her this? He'd sound so weak and scared but he's the Winter Soldier, he can't be those things.

A flash of memories erupted in his head but it left as quickly as it came. A voice shouting that name 一 Bucky, he recalled 一 and a scream... maybe it was his. Another voice spoke and all he could remember was the pain.

Before he knew it, his arm lunged out and the man attending to his arm slammed against the wall. All the guards suddenly aimed their guns at him, fingers on the trigger, while Rome stood protectively in front of him, hands held out in front of her chest. "Put them down now," she hissed. The witch watched as a few of them did as they were told, and once somewhat satisfied with that, Rome turned around and kneeled in front of her soldier. She placed a hand on his knee. "What happened? What's wrong?"

Minutes passed and he remained silent. While he was looking down, it felt more like his eyes were seeing through her, but she remained by his side. Rome remained in front of him, even when Pierce walked into the room. There was a silent fury written in his blue eyes. "Mission report," Pierce demanded.

Rome rolled her eyes, then looked over her shoulder to lock eyes with Pierce. "Let us rest," she responded. "He's tired, we both are." She stood up, her arms limp at her side.

Pierce simply disregarded her comment. "Mission report, now." He earned another glare from Rome but didn't bother to look at her. After a moment of silence, his hand connected with the assassin's face, the sound of the slap resonated throughout the room.

"Stop it!" Rome shouted, surging forward towards Pierce but was easily grabbed by one of the guards, one hand tightly holding her wrist.

"Miss Kingsmill," Pierce said, turning to look at her. Both of his hands were clasped behind back. He leaned close. "Don't presume to threaten me. You and I both know it won't end well."

Letting out an angry huff, Rome wretched herself out of the guard's hold and crossed her arms over her chest. She took a step closer to her soldier just he spoke. "The man on the bridge," the Winter Soldier said, his voice softer and gentler like a child's, "who was he?"

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment."

The Winter Soldier paused. "I knew him."

Pierce pulled the stool towards him and sat on it. "Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century. And I need you to do it one more time. Society's at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning, we're gonna give it a push but if you don't do your part, I can't do mine. And HYDRA can't give the world freedom it deserves."

"But I knew him." He sounded so broken and the look in his eyes made Rome bite her lip.

Pierce released sighed. He stood and turned, talking to his team. "Prep him."

"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long," one scientist hesitated.

"Then wipe him and start over."

Rome let out a shuddered breath, turning her eyes up to the ceiling. There was nothing more that she wanted than for this to stop and end. In the very beginning, she had always fought and yelled, begging for them to not hurt him, but they never listened. Besides, she was always able to bring the memories back, not that HYDRA knew. They must have assumed she'd given up. "I'll be here when you wake up," she said to the Winter Soldier, placing a hand against his shoulder. He gave her a hopeful look and placed his hand atop hers, squeezing hers gently and forcing a weak grin. The Winter Soldier never blamed Rome for this. He'd seen her time and time again fighting for his safety, ending up with bruises and cuts from how hard she tried. If he was in the same position as her, he'd fight tooth and nail to protect her; those machines would be destroyed within seconds.

But HYDRA had their ways, they always did. Their words were etched into his head, able to control his mind and play with him like a child's toy, like he was nothing but the weapon they made him to be.

Bitterly, he allowed a scientist to push him back into the chair and shove a mouth guard between his teeth. No matter how many times they did this, fear always struck through his heart when he heard the machine start up and the chair clamp down on his wrists. The machine lowered onto his face, covering the left half of his face before he let out a piercing scream.

Rome instantly covered her mouth, turning on her heel to look at the wall, hoping to muffle her cries.

A/N: guys i just finished my first day
of college and BOY am i already
overwhelmed sos