TWENTY-FIRST

RAISON D'ÊTRE
TWENTY-FIRST

"HAVE I TAKEN YOU ON an official date yet?" Tossing a sly glance over her shoulder, eyes looking through her golden hair, she spotted Bucky sitting atop their tiny mattress and writing in his journal. She didn't answer his question, only pausing to really think about it. They didn't have much money so they didn't really splurge much on things and they wanted to remain low on the radar, hence the dingy and rundown little apartment, and so they didn't go out very often. Rome could blame it on the fact that they were on the run, but she always had this underlying sense that they were being watched. So far, there hadn't been many issues and their meetings with their neighbors were very far and few between. Besides, Rome liked staying inside.

Pausing in her cooking, she pursed her lips and continued watching as Bucky wrote in his journal. She wondered what he remembered today 一 sometimes it'd be just a name of a person or a street, sometimes key words that just managed to stick out to him the most, and other times, when the memory had been much too strong, he'd write down every single thing he could manage to remember. With how much he'd been writing, the witch had a feeling she'd need to buy him a new journal. But it still made her heart smile to see the tiny red ribbon marking a page, the one that had a tiny polaroid picture he'd taken of her months previously with her name written below it. If anything, Rome appeared to be the one thing he didn't ever want to forget.

"I don't suppose that bar disaster counts," Rome said with a grin, looking back down at the food. Despite what had happened, with the man attempting to mug the pair, she rather liked that night 一 the night where they'd let themselves go and kissed and loved one another so deeply. It made her heart warm at the thought.

"No, I guess it doesn't," Bucky said with a toothless grin. "What would you want to do on a date? I haven't gone on a date since..." He paused, his pen freezing in its actions, and he sighed. "I can't remember the last time I went on a date."

That thought alone made her chest ache, so she placed the kitchen knife down on the counter and slowly advanced towards Bucky. She smiled. "Whatever my soldier would want to do, I'm more than happy to do. We could go out and watch a film," she started, slowly ticking off the ideas in her head, "we could go out and have a nice lunch of dinner 一 my treat, just for you." Rome's movements were careful as she moved close to him, making sure he watched as she straddled his legs, a hand on his chin so she could look in his blue eyes. "Or, perhaps there are better ideas..." She purposely trailed off, smirking deviously.

A smile spread onto Bucky's face. "Like what, doll?" he asked, shutting the journal with a tiny snap and tossing it on the pillow beside him. One hand cupped the witch's face, thumb rubbing against the apple of her cheek, while his other hand pressed against her hip.

"Or we could simply stay inside," Rome whispered, eyes with a swirl of emotions Bucky couldn't fully identify, "and never leave the comfort of our bed. It is supposed to rain later today." She leaned close to him, lips dangerously brushing against his. 

Bucky liked all sides of Rome 一 the sweet motherly side of her that always comforted him, holding him close and listening to each of his fears; the incredibly stubborn and determined side that wanted to fight; the beautifully brilliant witchy side that he wouldn't never fully understand and he didn't mind; the part of her that wanted him and only him (he liked that side especially now). He wanted to provide more for her, and it broke his heart to know that this is the road he led her down. And despite them being not normal, Bucky wanted to give her that. Every chance he got, no matter how small, he wanted to make it up to Rome. And he wanted to give her the world, but Rome was more than happy to throw the world away just for a few moments with him. She didn't care for fancy dinner dates and spectacular gifts of jewels and flowers, she just wanted him.