THIRTIETH

RAISON D'ÊTRE
THIRTIETH

"YOU SHOULDN'T BLAME YOURSELF, SOLDIER," Rome had whispered quietly, tracing her finger across his arm in strange patterns. She'd made all sorts of shapes across his skin, smiling softly at him. Bucky had relished in her touch, leaning against the palm that was cupping his cheek and keeping a hand pressed against her thigh. He'd always liked when Rome touched him 一 her warmth managed to always relax him, and everything about her was just so calming. 

The couple appreciated the others giving them a moment to themselves, wandering around the otherwise abandoned warehouse to potentially either contact someone for help or to make sure they hadn't been spotted yet. Aline had almost disappeared immediately after her talk, rubbing her arms as she walked away with Sam hot on her heels. Rome didn't blame her, of course; fifty years apart and they'd barely said two sentences to each other so of course the tension would be unbearable. The witch wanted desperately to speak to Aline, but she supposed that talk could wait a little while longer. Bucky needed her right now. 

"But I hurt you," he replied, blue eyes locked on the reddening skin on her neck. There was a part of the side of her neck that looked especially dark, and he was sure that there'd be large bluing bruises against her pale flesh that'd last days. 

Gently, Bucky reached out to touch her wound, but Rome caught his hand in hers. "But I'm fine," Rome pressed, keeping heavy eye contact with him. She loved his eyes, beautiful shining blue ones that she swore she could swim all day in. Lifting his hand, Rome brought it to her lips and kissed his knuckles. "I'm alive and you're alive. We're both here." She readjusted herself so she was sitting on her knees, pulling Bucky into a warm embrace. One arm wrapped around his waist, the other moving to finger his brown locks, and his face pressed against her chest. "I'm still here, James. And I'm not going anywhere."

Bucky looked up at her, something gleaming in his sad eyes, and he pressed a delicate kiss to one of the bruises 一 an apology, she mused. But she smiled, allowing him to kiss it in the hopes that it'd made it better.

When two hours had passed and Aline had finally stepped in the room, deciding that enough was enough, she found the couple still locked in an embrace. Bucky's face was pressed into the juncture of Rome's neck, forehead pressed against her skin with his arms wrapped loosely around her frame. Her cousin held him, whispering sweet nothings to him, and the image of this made her heart swell. Aline had never met Bucky before, not even in the fight in D.C. a few years ago, but from what she'd gathered from Steve, Bucky was a good friend. She hoped he'd be good enough for Rome. 

Rome lifted her head, spotting Aline standing awkwardly in the entrance of the room. She pushed herself up to stand just as Aline asked, "It's time we talk, don't you think?" The tribrid twiddled with the bottom of her shirt.

Giving a grim nod to herself, Rome looked to Bucky and excused herself before following Aline. They walked in silence, passing Steve and Sam who gave them knowing glances but said nothing. The cousins continued walking, heading up a flight of steps before finally reaching the roof of the building. Rome made sure to curl deep into her jacket, feeling a tiny chill in the air and hearing the door shut behind her.

"I've put up a cloaking spell," Rome said first, almost as if to test the waters. She looked at Aline out of the corner of her eye, but she didn't seem to react much. "They shouldn't be able to find us here."

Aline responded with a nod, then said curtly, "Good." She hesitated for a moment, chewing on the inside of her cheek before pursing her lips. She exhaled slowly then spoke again, keeping her eyes locked on the horizon. "Where were you?"