THIRTY-NINTH

RAISON D'ÊTRE
THIRTY-NINTH

BUCKY MOVED IN AN INSTANT, raising his gun quickly to shoot at Stark over Rome's shoulder. The moment he fired, Stark easily defeated it but Bucky launched himself at the suited man. Bucky tried punching him with his metal arm but Stark caught his fist with ease, and flew high into the air with Bucky in tow. He shoved Bucky against the concrete, and Rome let out a cry of Bucky's name when she saw Stark aim his hand blaster at his face. She hated how useless she felt in this moment, how she couldn't do much but sit and watch as they fought. 

Gritting her teeth, Rome lifted a hand and shouted, "Phasmatos superous em animi!"

The pain came as quickly as the words left her mouth, and Stark's hands moved to hold his aching head. Once he released Bucky, Steve tossed his shield through the air at him and he caught it as it was deflected. Steve slammed his shield against Stark once more, causing Stark to stumble and fall into a pouncing position. 

As the suited man launched himself at Steve, while Rome quickly ran to Bucky's aid. The witch gripped the sides of his face and whispered something quickly under her breath. It wouldn't do much for him, just give him enough strength to let his last for the next hour, but it was the only thing she could do at the moment. Bucky let out a small gasp as he felt the sudden rejuvenation, the energy gently spreading through his body. He slightly struggled to push himself up, but Rome was quick to throw his arm over her shoulder and pull him up. "You have to get out of here," Rome panted, her voice in a low pleading tone.

"I'm not leaving without either of you," Bucky replied quickly, his expression hardened when he glanced over at Steve and Stark fighting. 

"That is not an option," Rome said, grabbing his chin and forcing him to look into her eyes. "He will kill you. You need to get out now."

Their conversation was cut short as Stark shot something at Steve, an item that Rome had no name for, and his ankles were magnetized tightly together. Bucky pulled himself away from Rome's hold and once again threw himself at Stark, uppercutting him swiftly. However at that moment, Stark pushed against Bucky's padded chest and flew high into the air, pushing the brunet against part of a machine. Rome's green eyes narrowed and a growl escaped her lifts, all logical thoughts going out the window as she shouted another spell. It was more of a scream and she kept her glare as she tossed Stark through the air as if he were a rag doll. Bucky landed beside her harshly on the ground, groaning, and Rome gave him a curt nod before advancing on Stark, rage sparking in her mind. She threw her hand up fiercely, allowing the hand blaster to break and crack like a mirror.

Of course she understood that Stark must have been furious but he had to know that Bucky had no choice in the matter, right? It was all HYDRA's fault, their fault that any of this was happening in the first place. Rome was not naïve to everything Bucky had done 一 she knew he'd killed relentlessly through the many years he'd been alive, but she'd always known he was another victim of HYDRA. It was something that was completely out of his control, a situation that she'd been trying to help and fix for years. 

All around her, the pods were starting to fall apart and she wasn't sure if it had been from the missiles Stark had released earlier or if it was a part of Zemo's intent on destroying the place. Nonetheless she didn't allow it to distract her as she watched Stark struggling to get his blasters working again. In fact, she used it to her advantage and swiped her hands aggressively, forcing a large piece of machinery to fall towards him. But Stark had rolled out of the way in the nick of time and she cursed. She wasn't trying to kill him, just incapacitate him long enough so that Bucky could escape and get to safety. Speaking of Bucky, she turned her head, her gaze never linger on one spot for too long as she searched for him. Luckily, Rome found him just as he was slamming his fist on a button, and she heard the whining of machines through the explosions. Sunlight streamed in through the ceiling and she grinned to herself. If Bucky got there in time, he could get out.

"It wasn't him, Tony!" she heard Steve say. She saw Stark balancing on one foot booster in the air, hovering a few feet in the air. "HYDRA had control of his mind!"

"Move!" Stark shouted.

Rome whirled around to him. "No, you move!" she snapped, curling her fingers around and forced him to freeze mid-air. Steve took this opportunity to grab hold of Stark's foot, slamming his shield on it and tossing him aside. Her and Steve locked eyes for a moment, and she gave him a nod. Help Bucky get out of here, her eyes read and he seemed to understand her silent message because he started to run to his best friend, who was already climbing his way up multiple platforms just to get out. 

Rome's heels clicked on the concrete and she looked at Stark. "Killing him won't solve anything!" she shouted at him, and she could tell that from behind his mask he was glaring at her hard.

"How would you know?" he retorted and slammed right into her chest. A surprised gasp flew into the air as her back smashed against the hard surface of a machine.

Spots danced in her vision as she felt her head hit it as well, instantly sending an aching pain through her head. Was it... no, she could worry about that later! Right now she had to worry about Bucky. Her mind was screaming at her to get up, get up and help him fight. Gritting her teeth and trying to ignore the sticky blood that fell down her head and drying in her golden locks, she pushed herself up.

A/N: wow fight scenes rlly
aren't my thing :-)