Chapter 2: Blood red

Edited: 03/11/17
--------------------

The forest was still tonight. Oddly so.

No movement or noise aside from the cold winter breeze that caressed my face- my unruly hair and robe whipping consequently around behind me.

I smiled nonchalantly.
It was all rather dramatic really.

It was so still. As though everything in the wood had all stopped to listen at once.
I wonder what animals lay tonight. Hiding away, warm and safe from the path of nocturnal predators. Out of the unforgiving winds of the autumn wood.

I shiver slightly, tugging my shawl snuggly around my shoulders. In effort to retain body heat. It really was a very chilly night.

I wonder on, not looking for anything in particular. Just....looking.
The dark shapes of trees and rocks around me cast long, dark shadows- as solid as the objects themselves. Everything was so much more interesting in the dark. It allowed things to lie, form looming façades that would otherwise be exposed in the light.

The moon was the only light here, shining bright and pale as it lit my path through the darkness, on my long, slow stroll to nowhere.

As I walk steadily on, pulling my red robes closer to me as my hair flies against the cold, I continue to peer around- out of curiosity more than any thing else. It's not often I come out on a night like this. I plan to enjoy it while I can.

And that's when I see it. A large bump in the path.

I swiftly hurry over, expecting to see some kind of foal or wild cat, maimed or injured. But what I am met with is so, so much worse.

Tears spring to my eyes, and a hand to my mouth, letting out a small whimper as I gaze upon the fell creature before me.

Because it's a girl.

She is pale, her sunken skin stark white against the thick, dark muck she lies in. Thick, blood red locks splay around her head and shoulders. Her frame was dangerously thin, poorly dressed in old men's clothes that are soaked in sweat, mud and blood. She lies, peaceful, splayed out in exhaustion. A tear escapes my eye as I watch the body in front of me. Willing it to move, breathe, show some sign of life.

Such a waste.

And so I sit, for a moment, and mourn a girl whom I had never known.

But as I dry my eyes, they are drawn to her face. She was beautiful too, young, but undeniably so. She probably had a sweetheart back home. A family. Another wave of sadness washed over me. The poor girl looked only a few years younger tha

The smallest puff of swirling mist, exhaled above her lips.

She's alive.

In a second, I am back on my feet- a new sense of both panic and hope filling my bones. I pick her up off the floor, not wasting a second more. I don't know how long she has been here, but I need to get her back. Now.

Now I'm not a particularly strong woman, but lifting the girl was far easier than it should've been. Despite the fact she looked at least 15- she weighed that of a child as I held her protectively to my chest.

As I start to make my way hastily back the path I came along. I hear it.
I hear voices.

The silence of the wood is broken- quickly followed by what nerve I had left. I stumble into a run, bolting down the dirt track as if the devil himself were chasing me. I don't know who was in this part of the forest at night. But whoever it is. This can't be good.

🍂🍁🍂🍂🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍁🍁🍂

I trudge on determinedly. Lamp in hand. Trying my best to ignore the grumpy mumbling of the thickheaded thugs trailing after me.

"Oi, Robin! There any fuckin' reason we're out 'ere in the damn freezin' cold?!" The closest one calls.

"Grow a pair, Dane. It's not that cold." I reply monotonously. I hear a few of them chuckle. Good. Fuckin hate him.

But alas, soon after the silence is broken, yet again by the thuggish grunt that is Dane.

"Oi, Robin! What was it you was tellin' us y'd saw? A wood nymph? Ooh, was she-"

I stop dead and turn on him.

"Listen here, if you can't take the cold, go home already. And that does for anyone else too afraid of the dark to go look for a damn girl in a forest at night."

He growled. "Fuck off, you little prick. How old are you anyway- 14? 15? Why should I take orders from a child?" He glared. His shit-for-brains friends chortling along behind him.

I smirk "You are taking orders because if you don't, your head will be on a spike come tomorrow."

I saw the fear flicker in his eyes, despite his unwavering scowl. I turn my back on him and trudge onwards, encouraging the rest of them to do the same.

....That asshole knows that I'm 19.

We march on in silence..
I know what I saw. It was a girl.

...And along..
I was setting up traps for tomorrow when she came thundering past at a distance.

...And along..
She had blood red hair.

...And along..
All trespassers must be caught.

...And alo-
"Oi! W's'at?!" Someone yells at the back of the group.

I snap out of my thoughts and turn in a hurry, just to see a flicker of red go out of sight behind a tree in the distance. But she's not getting away this time.
Without another thought, I sprint off to pursue the figure. Dodging trees, rocks, ditches in the path, I ran like a mad man, racing the tall shadow that loomed ahead.

Ferns whip at my shins, attacking the cloth that protected my legs from the freezing night air. I rush through the dark, fumbling, as my breath grows louder and more ragged.

But I trip. On a rock or root or whatever else was dumb enough to get in my way. Cursing loudly from my new angle, I manage to look up at the figure, who had happened to pause- rather conveniently- at the sound of my swears.

I looked up at her in triumph.
But it wasn't the red haired girl.

The figure that stands before me is a woman, in her arms, my red haired girl. But it was the woman herself that now left me in shock. As a bittersweet smile graced her face.

By the time I'm up again, she has disappeared into the darkness. Along with the girl sporting the blood red hair.

The woman was Loveday.

___________________________
A/N: Ok, I have just come back to this chapter to edit 'n stuff and I was cringing HARD..hopefully better now..? Don't forget to vote, comment and follow if you enjoyed \(^•^)/ ~x❤️💀