Chapter 21: Happy Hunting (again)

A\N: Surprise- mothafuckas I'm alive. I haven't touched this story in 2 years. I'm a totally different person, a different writer than I was when I started this story. I have no excuse other than weird stuff going on in my own head, but I never forgot about or found peace by not finishing it. After all this time I doubt anyone will read this, but posting this last chapter is for me. This is a sad excuse for an ending, but this is me rounding it off for any reader who might stumble upon it on a nostalgia binge or whatever it is ppl do.

This ending (?) is a temporary fix, so I can have this story at a point where it can be left, almost rounded off, since it's obvious my original loooong plans are not going to happen 😂
_______________________________

"Don't you worry about me, Princess."

She boasted, sending him a quick wink, as she teetered on the jagged stone. Her red hair was flying wildly around in the wind, as she turned to glance a mocking eye in the young DeNoir boy's direction.
"Everyone knows that cats always land on their-"

The cocky retort was ripped from her tounge as he watched, in utter shock, as her bare foot suddenly shoots out from under her- sending her flailing body straight over the battlements; her arms flapping around like a crazed, ungraceful bird; her eyes wide and panicked.

It happened in an instant, but for one short second, he really believed she would regain her balance- catch the edge before she could fall.

But she didn't.

The ear-splitting scream snapped him back into the moment as her wide-eyed expression left his sight; dragged downwards along with the rest of her body; plummeting towards the earth at an alarming rate.

The others rushed forward to the battlements that she had been standing on only moments ago, pressing themselves up greedily against the weather-beaten rock in desperate attempt to watch her ill-clothed frame make an abrupt contact the ground. But their leader shoved his way to the front of the group, needing to see with his own eyes the damage that'd been done.

Robin could feel the dread cooling in his veins, the tinge in his chest he knew he wasn't meant to be feeling.
Not that that it meant anything.

He couldn't quite explain what it was that he was so frightened of. The girl was nothing to him- they (formally) met only days ago. But whatever it was that made his heart beat that little bit too erratically, was slightly softened at the sight that met him as he looked over the edge.
Far below them, he could make out a small sized heap of uncomfortable looking limbs and red hair as it shot down the rocky hill. With all the grace and elegance of a dead bear, yelping and cursing as it went, her tangled form bounced off every rock on the way down. But as it finally came to a stop, the heap unravelled, albeit a little uncertainly, and crawled to it's knees to  cover a neighbouring shrub in vomit.

Bemusement.
Sheer and utter bemusement.

She made it.

He found himself laughing; breathy and short at first-trying hard not to give away how quite so relieved he may or may not have been.

The crazy woman actually made it.

He turned smugly to the small mob, clearing himself a space with outstretched arms.

"What did I tell you? She's hard to kill!" He jested, taken aback by what almost sounded like pride in his voice.

The group looked at him oddly- faces of confuddle-ment staring back at me as he turned to look over the edge once again, partly to hide the grin of excitement spreading it's way across his face.

This was going to be fun.

The higher-altitude wind beats for another second before he reacted. It tugs at unruly locks poking out from under the bowler, as well as the flitting red scarf tied at the base of his throat. He laughed again, sporting what could only be described as a mad, toothy grin.
Another second. Another spark of adrenaline.

"What are you lot gawking at?", he barked, "Go get her!"

Shakily, they jumped into action, eagerly scrambling past him as he heard panicked shouts, spreading word of her escape the De Noir castle like wildfire.

Turning to look again, he could see her small, dishevelled form down a the bottom of the hill start to move. Warily, she looks around in what seems to be surprise- emerging sunlight illuminating the field around her, as if it too was surprised to see her alive.

He chuckled to himself softly. Quite the character, she is, he had thought.

If it weren't for the harsh sounding of horns and havoc around him, he was sure he would be able to hear the confused muttering of the odd little lady carried up to him on the wind. He wouldn't be surprised to catch a few curses had slipped her tongue, along with some sort of sarcastic, characteristically witty remark.

But it doesn't take her long to make it to her feet, the ringing of alarms no doubt bringing her to an alerted sense of urgency as she sprints, albeit limping, to the wood's tree-line.

Cries of hawks and horses and the pounding of hooves echo after her as she flees, Robin observe a sea of black, spilling out into the field below, towards the small, red haired figure.

But as it reached the edge of the field, despite its immediate danger, he swears he sees the shape hesitate, on the edge of safety, only to turn towards the way she had came.

And if he knew any better, he would've sworn she was looking straight at him.
If he had to guess, he would guess that the state was a deliberate one. One issuing challenge.

Until next time

He smiled. Not his characteristic smirk this time, but a real, excited one.

And as he watched her lithe shadow slip through the forest barriers for good, he can't stop himself from thinking,

He can't wait to find her again.

🍂🍂🍁🍂🍁🍁🍂🍁🍁🍂🍁🍂

Fin

(for now)