Chapter 3

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” he growled behind his clenched teeth and grabbed my arm.

“What are you talking about? I just left the apartment for a minute.” I said.

“Why?” he muttered.

“Why not? You never told me I couldn’t. Besides I’m not a dog, you can’t control me like this.” I said glaring back into his eyes.

“The big reason I’m here is to protect you Alex. You can’t just go around without me. What if something happened to you?” he said.

“What if something happened to me? You would just finish the job Kyle. That’s how it works.” I said.

“You have to listen to me, this place may seem safe and quiet filled with friendly people but it’s just as dangerous as anywhere else. Your dad wouldn’t send us somewhere if there was no danger.” He said.

“I know that. But he did not tell you to come with me to save me. I’m not 4 years old Kyle. If my dad didn’t think I could handle myself him or my mom would still be living with me. I could live without you by my side.” I said.

“I don’t think you could. We’re going back to the apartment now.” He said pulling me with him.

I pulled my arm out of his grasp and shot an angry glare at him.

“No.” I said. “No?” he turned around surprised.

“No.” I replied.

“We have been here less than 8 hours and you have already pissed me off.” Kyle said.

“I know. I do that a lot.” I grinned.

“Alex c’mon.” he sighed.

“No. You go back to Lina’s place and I’ll be back soon.” I said.

“I can’t just leave you here.” He said.

“Fine. Then I’ll leave you.” I said.

I turned around and started running.

I had no idea where I was going and I didn’t have to look back to know Kyle was after me. I could hear the fast pounding of his footsteps.

“Alex!” he called.

What he doesn’t know is that I could run forever. My dad made me run all the time when we trained. He said every spy has to have limitless running abilities in case running is your only option.

I ran around a corner and ran into a little girl. She dropped her ice cream and looked up at me.

“Oh I’m sorry.” I panted.

I quickly reached into my pocket and gave the girl five dollars in Italian money.

“Buy yourself some more ok?” I smiled.

She smiled back at me and I ran around her. I kept running until I came up to the edge of the town. There was a big wall that separated the city from the country.

The country was spread out for what looked like forever. I ran down an alley and found the source of the wall. I climbed up it using stones that were sticking out and was eventually standing on top. I walked along until I was out of the alley and saw Kyle right next to the wall below me.

“Alexandria do not jump off that wall!” he yelled.

“You’re not my dad. Don’t talk to me like that.” I said.

He rolled his eyes and tried to jump up and reach me.

“The country is beautiful. And this is an amazing view. I wish we had this back home.” I smiled looking out over the landscape.