Chapter 7

I was sleeping like a baby when Kyle came in and blasted his alarm.

“I’m up! God!” I groaned sitting up.

“Hurry up and get dressed, I want to get this done as early as possible.” He said and left my room.

I sighed, threw the covers off of the bed and went over to my duffel bag. I pulled out some black jeggings, a red soccer t-shirt, and my black combat boots. After I got dressed, I decided to brush my hair and wear it down, then threw a beanie on top. I grabbed my leather jacket, stuffed Sally and my pocket knife in my inside pocket, then my phone and wallet on the outside pockets.

I walked out of my room and into the living room to see Kyle and Lina talking with a cup of coffee. My eyes widened a bit, but I shook it off when Lina noticed me.

“Good morning.” She acknowledged me.

“G’morning.” I mumbled.

“Do you want some breakfast?” she stood up.

“No, I’m good.” I said with a wave of my hand.

“Alex.” Kyle gave me a death glare and I could feel the goose bumps creep up my arm.

“Maybe just a cup of coffee.” I smiled nervously.

I sat down in one of the arm chairs across from Kyle and sighed.

“Isn’t it a little early?” I groaned rubbing my eyes.

“I want to get this over with. Don’t you?” he sat back, resting his right arm on the back of the couch. “

Not at all. Your last mission was what, three months ago? Mine was three years ago. Did you ever think maybe I want to take in this moment and just live life a little?” I met his eyes.

“You sound like you came out of a Disney channel movie.” Kyle laughed.

I rolled my eyes and sat up.

“Kyle, I’m serious. I know it’s a serious mission but can’t you relax and slow down a little?” I finished right as Lina walked in.

Saved by the bell. She handed me and Kyle a cup of coffee and sat down on the couch with hers.

“I wanted to ask you guys a question.” She said grabbing something off the coffee table.

“Go ahead.”

This coffee was good.

“I know you guys are here for business and I was thinking, the mayor is having a party type thing tonight and it might be good if he got to meet you. He could help you with whatever your job is. And since Alessandria is such a small town, you must be here for something pretty specific, the mayor is just the person to see.” She handed us each an invitation.

I stared down at the envelope and slowly opened it, scanning my eyes over the fancy curled letters.

“I don’t think our work will require-.”

“That’s a great idea Lina. We’d love to come.” I cut him off. 

Kyle looked at me but I ignored him, and kept listening to Lina.

“It’s at seven tonight and you will have to wear some super formal stuff. It’s high class apparently.” She said.

“Oooh, that sucks. I don’t own anything formal.” Kyle sighed.

I shot him a glare and he just looked back at me tiredly.

“My dad gave me some money, we can pick something up on our way back.”