7. After Tremors

Destiny stood there for fifteen minutes. She was surprised by the incidents happening in her life. She didn’t have power to face anymore so called reality. She went straight into the bathroom and saw her face up in the mirror. Her face looked pale like she had seen a ghost. Her eyes were red due to the extreme crying. She felt a little sedated and too weak to move her hands to clean her up. She was lost and kept staring in the mirror. She snapped out when she heard some voices from downstairs. She took out her pajamas’ and went straight into the shower. After shower, she decided to take a nap.

At 5.30 pm, Cerulean woke her up. She caressed her head lightly. Destiny sat down on the bed and looked groggy.

Cerulean asked her politely, “Where were you after break time?”

“I … umm…I came home. I was not feeling well. Feeling a little sedated.” Destiny tried to convince her sister.

“Okay. You should have at least informed the school authorities.”

“I felt too weak to think. Mr. Esaa… I mean Mr. Lash dropped me.”

“He too didn’t inform anyone. Your friends were worried and even I could not concentrate in office. I was relieved when Martha saw you in your room and she called me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. Just take care, sweet.” she said embracing Destiny.

“You want to come down?” she asked.

“I don’t want to.” 

“Okay. Is there anything you want to talk about?”

Destiny hesitated for a moment and said, “Yeah, actually.”

“Go on sweetie.” Cerulean said with Destiny still in her embrace.

“Where are mom and dad? Why haven’t we heard from them for, I think, past fifteen years?”
Cerulean’s face hardened. Her eyes dwelt tears. She tried very hard to stop them from coming out and even succeeded at it. She loosened her grip and faced her sister face to face. After seeing her sister, Destiny thought she had asked the wrong question. She said, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” She was cut off by Cerulean. Cerulean said, “No, it is not your fault. You are grown up now. I knew we will have to talk about it but didn’t realize so soon.”

Destiny was looking at her sister.

“You need to know Destiny, we don’t have parents.” Cerulean said in a stiff manner.

“This can’t be! They are alive. They are not dead. Mom called me a week ago. They were absolutely fine. It is just that they are not able to come back due to business.” Destiny’s eyes sparkled with despair and hope at the same time. She looked at her sister with gleaming tears.

“Don’t be a fool! They are not dead. It is even worse. They have abandoned us!” Cerulean said tears flowing down her cheeks. She continued, “You were only three years old. You don’t remember anything. Serene was just six. You used to sleep with mum and dad only. One night, mom screamed so loudly that we all woke up. Serene started crying so I embraced her. We both came out in living room. Dad was fighting with someone. It was a verbal fight. Mom was crying loudly. I was so startled and scared. Suddenly, everything stopped. Mom came out of the room. She came to us and hugged us tightly. She whispered I love you in our ears. You came out of the room crying. You were crying so terribly like you have seen a ghost. I thought mom will hold you but she didn’t move and when I got up for you, she stopped me. I was startled at her behavior. Dad also came out all dressed up and with two bags in his hand. I was confused. I thought he will take you in his arms but he didn’t. Suddenly you vomited blood and collapsed on the floor. I screamed and asked mom and dad to help you but they didn’t. I couldn’t bear the site, so I ran towards you. Mom and dad tried to hold me back, but I resisted. Martha saw everything from the back. She called the ambulance.  Dad told mom to come tomorrow. I knew something bad is happening. Dad approached the door and I heard his car engine run. He was gone. Ambulance came and took you to the hospital. In the hospital, Serene refused to go home and stayed with you all night.

Next morning, you came home. You opened your arms for mom but she ignored and Martha tended and embraced you. I asked mom about this behavior but she didn’t said a thing. She had packed her bags too. She hugged me and Serene and said, ‘we are going. This does not mean that you are alone. You both are sisters and will always stay together, no matter what.’ She then turned to me and told me, ‘you are my angel and your sisters’ guardian. Destiny is different. She is not like others. She is dangerous. I can’t stay here because of your father. He has bound me. She might be dangerous but I know she will never hurt her sisters. Promise me Cerulean that you will always protect your sisters especially Destiny.’ I said yes. She was crying. Then she talked to Martha, hugged her and left. Forever. There I was a twelve year old Cerulean, who was abandoned by her parents along with her sisters.” Cerulean finished with tears flooding down her cheeks and striking the floor.

Destiny was weeping. She was startled to know this. She related Esaar’s story and the truth unveiled. Everything made sense. She wanted to scream this out but couldn’t.

She said, “I love you Lea. I didn’t know that you had to face such hardships. I am sorry. I am so sorry.”

“No, No darling. This is not your fault. You were just a child. I don’t have any grudge for anyone. I don’t have any parent and that’s what I live about because it eases the pain. I want you to forget about it and start afresh.” Cerulean said and embraced her little sister tightly. They stood like that for a long time when they heard someone sniff at the door. They turned and saw Serene standing and crying.

“Are you crying?” Destiny mocked.

“Why, can’t I?” She answered between her tears.
“Come here!” Cerulean said.

She came and they hugged each other tightly. They stood like that for a long time. They were crying. After some time, they fell asleep like that. Martha came and covered them with a blanket, switched off the light and closed the door.

There it was. The greatest power on earth. Love bound them together and it was strongest with them. They had each other and they didn’t need anybody else. Love is a beautiful thing.  It comes in many forms but when it comes in the form of siblings and that too sisters, it carves a beautiful story of sacrifice, affection and tolerance.