Chapter two: Silence falls...

*~Those who fear the darkness,
have no idea what the light can do...~*

(Third person pov)
As the girl sleeps deeply in her room, a shadow overcasts the light. A darkness slithers in through her window and brushes her cheek. It's breath caresses her skin, it's lips capturing her own. The dark shadow looks down at this innocent girl and smiles softly. It's guttural whisper sends waves of fear over her flesh, "soon you will be mine. Soon we will be reunited once more. Soon my love, we will be together again" As the darkness holds her, his plea of love turns to a bitter hate. It's growls are directed to her lover, her supposed 'soulmate'. Leaning in to her ear the darkness whispered

"No matter how different we are,
We are still the same, up close and a far.

We are one and we are none,
Sometimes we wish the light was done.

No matter our differences we are the wings,
That soar and continue to sing.

As we land our souls, and make our mark,
We realize that we are the same, the light and the dark.

Darkness may hide from your heart,
But we are never truly apart.

Light and dark, are born in conceivable night,
As our souls intertwined, our true colours took flight.

We are one and the same,
The darkness that came.

Brought a light that took you away,
But darkness will get you back one day.

And then, we will be unstoppable,
We will be indestructible."

As the darkness finished his poem, he kissed her once more then swirled into the sky. His shadows camouflaging into the stars, and disappearing into the night.

(Damen's pov)
I've been trapped in my own home for over a month now. And I am losing my mind!! I haven't seen Rain since my brother took her away, but then again I now see how he feels. Only Rafael has been separated from Iris for one year. Whereas I have been separated for one month. Rafael has to wait another nine years to see her. I feel bad, I do. It's my fault. But does he really have to treat me the same way?

What's that saying what comes around goes around? Yeah I am feeling that right now. Rolling over on my bed I stare at the chipped ceiling and can't help but feel like that's a meaning to me. A chipped ceiling is like a chipped part of my life. It's there but I can't do anything about it. Groaning as I sit up I start to do my daily exercises just to pass the time. As I am in the middle of doing my push ups the dream I had with Iris comes back to me, and goose bumps travel along my skin. I hear footsteps echoing down the stairs and I push myself harder.

The door opens and I see Rafael come in. "...98,99,100!" I jump up and smirk triumphantly. Then I turn and address my brother. "May I help you?" Rafael just blinks then he says "I heard a voice in the forest. It spoke to me and recited a poem. One about death and destruction. Devils and hounds. Fire and flesh. What does this mean?" I stare at him open mouthed. Gaping more like it. Shaking my head I whisper a shaky "I don't know" he swallows then turns away. As his feet begin to trudge across the floor a weight seems to sit on his shoulders, making them hunch and curved. He looks like he is carrying the world on his shoulders. As my brother leaves the room a reoccurring thought spirals in my head.

Maybe he is carrying the world on his shoulders, he just doesn't know it yet.

(Iris' pov)
It's been a week since I had that dooming nightmare. And still it shakes me to my very core. Just thinking about it sends shivers rippling through my soul, like rain touching smooth water for the first time. Fear emanates in every fibre of my being. Shaking my head clear I march to the door and whistle for Zeke. He comes pounding down the hall way with a quick wag of his tail. His happy bark the only noise in the room. Smiling I grab his leash and say "time to go for a walk!"
***
(30 minutes later)
Zeke and I arrive home after a half an hour walk. We are both breathing hard because for the last 10 minutes we ran. Hopping inside the house, I am blasted with cool air. It makes me shiver from the sheer coolness. It's not any warmer outside. Fall will be over soon and winter will coming. Taking Zeke off his leash I give him some cool water and then head upstairs. As I pass by my brothers room I pause. Standing in the door way I peak in his room and see that it's covered in darkness. Slight sun rays trickle in sending the dust particles flying about. I enter the room, and I hear the floor board creak. I smile because it's familiar, safe. Walking farther into the room I inhale and I catch the faint scent of deodorant, boy, and shampoo.

It's all so familiar that I feel a knot form in my heart. It squeezes and tightens I can't breathe. Turning I make it to my room before the tears slide down my face like its their very own slip'n' slide. "Oh Thomas. I miss you so much" silence is the only response. As I inhale deeply through my nose to calm my raging emotions, I hear Zeke give out a menacing growl. It's only then that I realize someone is knocking on my front door. Opening my own door, I slip down the stairs quietly. Knock, Knock.

Two swift and precise knocks. "Iris... It's me please open the door! It's freaking freezing out here" His breath huffs out into the silence to the day. But I stop moving. His voice is familiar. Safe. "Iris please? I'm in trouble and I need some place to stay. You're the only person I know here so..." He trails off and I rush to the door. Yanking it open, I catch Zeke just as he launches himself at Tyler.
"Tyler? What are you doing here?" He smiles and shivers in the cold "I need your help" I frown. "Help how?" He blinks and says nothing. Moving out of the way I let him in, and close the door swiftly so we don't freeze.

Putting Zeke on the ground, I go and put on the kettle and then turn to Tyler. He's just looking at me, shivering and his cheeks red and lips pale pink. It makes me blush. He's so damn hot! Damnit Iris keep your emotions in check! You have Rafael! Mentally hitting myself I walk to Tyler then say "I can take your coat" he smiles and murmurs, "thanks. I hope you don't mind me staying here." I pause, then hang his coat up. "How long do you need?" "A few days, maybe a week at the longest" I stop then look at him. "I'll help out around the house, I'll stay out of your way, I'll be at work most of the time. And I can help with your dog. Please Iris I need you to help me."

My heart aches for him. Sighing I say "ok fine. But once the week is up, you're moving out. Capiche?" He nods like an eager puppy. And it makes me laugh. "Tea?" I ask as the kettle starts to scream and whistle. Tyler nods "yes please." Then he sits on the couch and Zeke sniffs him, suspiciously. I laugh softly and go to make the teas. As I do I can't help but think that Tyler staying here will make this place less lonely. More alive. Making up my mind I hurriedly make everything and I listen to Zeke bark at Tyler, and listen as Tyler replies with murmured "I knows" After that silence falls.

Only this silence isn't scary, dark, or unknown. It's polite, contemplative, welcomed. It's safe. And for once in my life I don't feel completely alone. For once I feel like I can make it through. I can't wait to see Rafael again, I think to myself. Straightening myself up I put on a smile and enter the living room.

"Tea is ready!"