Chapter 4.

Leyla

"Oi! Leyla!" I hear Rahul Khanna calling me so stop dead in my tracks. I hear his feet pounding the concrete before he stops in front of me. He's not even out of breathe and he's just been running!
"Hi," I say clutching the books I'm holding closer to my chest, like a comfort blanket.
"I've been looking for you," he smiles. He's wearing black chinos and a tight white top with a V in the front, perfect for someone like Lacey to check out his muscle physic but awkward for me who doesn't know where to look.
"Me?" I ask in confusion. Other than for the assignment why on earth would Rahul Khanna be looking for me?
"Yeah where are you going?" Rahul asks taking in my skinny jeans and black blouse the books still cradled against my chest.
"Library," I use one of my hands to point to the sign, "why?"
"There's a party going on tonight!" Rahul pumps his fist and moves his head trying to make me laugh but I just stare at him. It's social suicide going to parties which is exactly why I don't bother going to them.
"Well have fun," I say trying to walk around him but he grabs my wrist forcing me to face him.
"I thought we could go together?" Rahul smiles, "it's Lacey's birthday bash or summit." I wriggle my wrist free.
"Why would I want to go to Lacey's party?" I laugh. Why would I want to go to anyone's party? I'd rather sit in my room and read some book about other people's happy lives not getting completely wasted and waking up with a hangover on Saturday morning.
"Thought it'd be fun," Rahul shrugs. I shake my head and sigh.
"I'm good thanks," I start to walk off again but Rahul starts walking beside me.
"Okay then how about we do some work on our assignment?" Rahul asks. I don't understand why he always wants to spend time with me now. I mean he's made me work everyday for the past two weeks on this assignment yet he still finds extra stuff to add to it.
"Haven't we finished the assignment?" I ask impatiently. The smile on Rahul Khanna's face slowly slips away like melting ice-cream and I feel bad for being a bit short with him. Rahul reaches for my hand and pulls me towards the nearest bench forcing me down onto the cold wood with a thump.
"Can I ask you something?" Rahul looks serious.
"Okay?" I shrug. He places my hands in his.
"Will you do me a favour?" He asks scrunching up his face.
"What sort of favour?" I inquire. I can feel the palms of his hands getting sweaty even in the cold of the October breeze.
"You are really smart and extremely polite and you are like the perfect daughter," Rahul rushes to say tripping over his words, "will you be my fake fiancée?" The words hit me like a ton of bricks crashing around me. I relax my arms feeling the books fall to the floor around my feet.
"What?" Is all I manage to force out as I feel my throat close up. Rahul squeezes my hands with his and licks his lips.
"My parents want me to have an arranged marriage and the only way I can get out of it is by finding my own fiancée, but we will have a big break up before we go our separate ways to uni," it's more like Rahul is trying to convince himself rather than me.
"So you want me to be your fiancée until when?" I ask shocked that he's even asking me. I would have thought he'd rather ask someone he actually enjoys spending time with, like Lacey Brown or Jessica Harps or someone anyone other than me. I was just fine being invisible and now I've been bought into the spotlight so everyone can see me.
"August next year?" Rahul shrugs, "please I need you." He sounds desperate and he's making my hands wet with sweat. I chew on my bottom lip and think about what I'm signing up to. Rahul Khanna is the son of a millionaire who could have anyone and anything he wants. I, Leyla Sharma, am an orphan who has to get an allowance from her uncle and keep her head down. Rahul Khanna knows literally nothing about me other than the fact I take religious studies. If I say yes, which is a very big if, then I'll have to spend even more time with Rahul Khanna, I'll be thrust into the social spotlight and hated by so many girls, I'll have to pretend to be in love with him for nearly a whole year, I'll...

"Okay," the word leaves my lips before I can stop myself. Maybe I'll finally know what it feels like to be loved?

"Seriously?" Rahul enthuses his face lighting up like a Christmas tree. I nod as he pulls me into a hug which knocks the breathe out of me, "you don't know how amazing you are Leyla! I owe you!"