Epilogue

"Babu!" Jaya screams across the lawn running towards me and nearly knocking me over.
"Ooph," I say as she collides with me giving me a vice-type hug.
"I can't believe you're here!" She says as I hug her back trying to catch my breathe.
"Well when your only daughter is graduating from university with a first in Natural Sciences from Cambridge of course I'm going to attend," I smile. She looks so like her mother. The same eyes.
"Are you proud of me?" Jaya beams taking a step back.
"I'm more than proud," I reply. It's true! Jaya has turned out to be such a smart button.
"And mum?" She whispers a tear glistening in her eye. I look down at the ground.
"She would be so proud of how you've turned out," I mumble pulling a sad smile.
"I'll just go get my bag," Jaya says wiping a tear from her cheek.
"Haan," I say turning away so she can't see the tears forming in my own eyes.

I've lived twenty-two years with the promises I made you. To tell Jaya all about you. Well I've definitely tried my hardest to do that. When she was younger she would love to hear about the stuff we used to get up too and you're grandma has definitely helped. I've heard stories about you that I know you'd never admit too. Some make you roar with laughter others make you cry but your grandma said 'now is the time to face up to what has happened'. I think she means the fact she let you go when she should have fought for you. I think she beats herself up about it now you're gone. I know she wants you understand exactly what happened but she doesn't think she explained it well enough to you. Personally I think you understood what happened the day you turned twelve and your uncle took you from your grandma's love. I know you don't blame her and one day she'll learn to accept that... Just like you learnt to accept that not all people who love you leave you. The other promise. I know I can be happy. I'm happy right now because Jaya has done so well and is making us so incredibly proud but that's just on the surface. I didn't go to university. I got a job with my dad and took on so much work to try and push what happened out of my mind. But I'd go home and you wouldn't be waiting for me. I'd go to bed and wake up alone. Sometimes I'd come home with something exciting to tell you then I'd realise that you weren't there to talk too. I slumped. You know I slumped. I needed help but I wouldn't accept it and then my parents said maybe I should marry again and that's when I couldn't handle life anymore. I thought it would be easy to overdose or drive off a cliff at speed but when I was faced with them... All I could see was your face in the stars. When Jaya was younger she'd ask me where you were and I couldn't answer her until one day I saw the brightest star in the night sky and I pointed to it and said 'there, that is where you're mummy is'. It is so true. Whenever I look at the stars I see you. I realised I was depressed. I realised I had responsibilities. I realised I could never stop loving you. But I realised I could never truly be happy without you. So here I am twenty-two years later. Still friends with Ajay believe it or not. Still close to your family. Forgiven Aravinder for his part to play in your death. But still searching for who did this to us. A lot of people at the group I go to say they see their dead partners in there dreams, but I don't. Sometimes I wish you'd visit me just so I can see your face, just so I can touch you face, just so I can hear those words... The words you said to me when you were dying. 'I love you'. Then I realise I see you in the stars. I know you're looking out for me and for Jaya. I'm the luckiest man alive to have spent that year with the only woman I'll ever truly love. That's why I didn't drive off that cliff or take that overdose because if I had I know you'd have been disappointed and probably ignored me if I managed to find my way to heaven. I had a huge responsibility in Jaya and, well, just look how she's turned out. The smartest person in our combined families. I know she talks to you, just like me. I hope it gives her comfort to know your out there listening to ever word we tell you. I love you Leyla and I miss you...

"Babu?" Jaya's excited voice reaches me from across the lawn. I dry my tears and put my smile back onto my face.
"Let's go," I link my arm with hers watching as a smile spreads over her face.
"Do you see her tonight?" Jaya asks stopping and looking up at the night sky.
"Haan," I mumble as an image of you floats before my eyes, "do you?" I've never asked her before and I don't know what her answer will be.
"Haan, babu," Jaya sniffles, "and she's beautiful." I stare for as long as my eyes let me until I have to blink and you're gone. But you're only gone until tomorrow night.
"I love you," I whisper to the brightest star in the sky.
"I love you too mummy," Jaya whispers squeezing my arm.

And it all started off as a favour...

********************

I just want to thank everyone for reading my story! I really appreciate you guys reading the crazy ideas which go round my head 😂 I just want to take the time to thank srkajol4life r25227 and MonicaPessanhaPio for commenting and voting on my story! Love you guys ❤️ Thanks again to everyone G x