Chapter 26.

Exams are finished, results are pending and it's just turned July but one thing is overshadowing these events... The mehndi party for a very pregnant Leyla Sharma-soon to be Khanna.

"What do you mean you invited her?" I shout at my grandma as she hangs fairy lights around the balcony of the Khanna 'mansion'. I haven't seen my dad's sister since I was eight and that was at some big family function which ended with her getting kicked out.
"She's in the area it seems cruel not to invite her," my grandma kisses the top of my head before walking past me.
"And? She didn't even know I was getting engaged!" I call after her as she trots down the stairs and I lumber after her.
"Leyla should you be getting this heated about it?" My grandmother touches my stomach as I reach the bottom of the stairs. Okay so she does have a point but I barely know my auntie!

"So much to do so little time to do it!" Ishita sweeps into the house carrying two clothing bags. I rub my forehead with my hand.
"Maybe you should take Leyla and get her ready?" My grandma suggests turning right and making her way into the kitchen to check on the caterers.
"Stress not Leyla! I am here to make you look beautiful," Ishita laughs lacing her arm with mine and taking me back up the stairs slowly.
"I just think this engagement party has gotten out of hand," I sigh thinking about all the people who are invited.
"Well we had to fill in the spaces dedicated to your friends," Ishita smiles taking me into the guest bedroom where I'm supposed to be staying tonight.
"Ha ha," I say sarcastically as Ishita forces me onto a seat in front of a mirror. There's just so much to do and so little time to do it! On top of the wedding I have a small baby to think about. It seems everyone just wants to get the wedding out of the way before going into full throttle baby-ness. If it wasn't for me there wouldn't be a moses basket or changing stand or baby bath or clothes ready for if this baby wants to depart my womb when it feels like it. I just feel as though people are praying this baby waits until September to arrive but I know babies are unpredictable and I don't want to be stuck in hospital for days or even weeks relying on Rahul to sort out some form of nursery.
"I've never noticed this before," Ishita says looking at my right shoulder blade as she removes the fabric from my sari. I bite the bottom of my lip.
"I've always had it," I refer to the diagonal line which stretches from the top of my shoulder to the bottom of my shoulder blade. A scar which I've just grown up with and never really remembered how I did it. Probably so traumatic I've shoved it into the bottom of my mind.
"Well you learn something everyday," Ishita laughs unpacking three make-up bags. For some reason I feel scared to let Ishita touch my face!

********************

It is quite boring sat on a sofa surrounded by women I've never met or spoken to before as they tell me how beautiful I look and paw at my pregnant stomach without permission. However it then gets more boring because I've been restricted by my mehndi designs which travel from the tips of my fingers up to my elbows and from the tips of my toes to my ankles. I just have to smile and wait for an hour an a half to tick slowly by until I can wash it off and feign a headache or something. Lying in a dark room or watching paint dry would be better than watching my dad's sister drinking herself into oblivion and making obscene jokes that nobody wants to laugh to but are forced to.
"You alright?" My grandma whispers noticing my grinding teeth and pulsing jaw line.
"Haan," I lie trying to smile but I can see my auntie stumble towards us. She crushes herself next to me on the sofa.
"You look stunning," she breathes in my face and I try hard not to be sick from the stench of alcohol on her breathe. When Sangeeta had suggested a glass of champagne or two I don't think she meant drink as much as you like.
"Thank you," I smile trying to inch slowly away from her. I can't even remember her name I haven't seen her in so long!
"And you must be so pleased," she lowers her voice, "to have found someone who's loaded!" She laughs at her own 'sort of' joke and I hesitantly laugh along.
"Oh and to be pregnant," she paws away at my stomach tilting her glass so a dribble of champagne falls onto my shoulder.
"I am so sorry," she sighs placing her hand over her mouth.
"It's okay," I get up. Right now I don't care whether my mehndi is dry or not I am moving away from this woman.
"Oh no let me wipe it up," she falls off the sofa onto the floor causing some of Rahul's aunties to look at her. I feel so embarrassed!
"Is she okay?" Rahul's grandmother asks from her armchair and that's the final straw. She manages to pick herself you off the floor and lunges for another glass of alcohol.
"No!" I shout pointing my finger at her, "she does not need anymore alcohol. She is totally wacked." I feel someone put their hand on my shoulder.
"Leyla," my grandma whispers trying to make me shut up.
"This woman needs to leave," I say watching as her face falls.
"But Leyla I'm here to support your engagement," she slurs her words downing the glass of champagne.
"Can someone please just get her out of my sight? I feel so embarrassed and she hasn't even made any effort to see me since I was eight! I don't even know who she is," I feel so frustrated right now!
"Leyla," my grandma says in a low voice.
"No dadi," I say, "I didn't want her here in the first place can someone just please make her leave before I do it myself?" I look around the room hoping someone will save me from my verbal diarrhoea but all eyes seem to be on me.
"Haan?" I say exasperated but I don't need anyone to answer me to know what is happening. I feel as sharp pain in my stomach and trickle of water running down my leg. So it looks like Junior doesn't want to wait until September...