Chapter 5.

Rahul

"How about that one?" I ask pointing to a ring with a pretty hefty price tag, £200,000 to be precise.
"Hmm," I can tell Leyla feels uncomfortable. She tensed as soon as I placed my arm around her waist and hasn't said anything since we arrived at the shop just keeps mumbling.
"Krpaya ick minat," I say to the assistant, "one minute please." I take Leyla's hand in mine and pull her out of the shop into the busy shopping mall-it is a Saturday after all.
"Huh?" Leyla raises her eyebrows at me and starts chewing on her bottom lip.
"What's up?" I ask still holding her hand in mine. She shrugs before looking at her feet. She chose to wear blue skinny jeans and a Rolling Stones top today with a pair of white converse.
"Nothing Rahul Khanna," she says to her feet. Leyla has a thing with calling me 'Rahul Khanna' all the time and it is sort of sweet but annoying at the same time.
"Hey," I place my free hand under her chin and lift it up so her eyes are almost level with mine, "come on we are supposed to be in love." She smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes, in fact whenever she smiles it's always on her lips never in her eyes.
"It's just I've never done this before," Leyla sighs and my eyebrows furrow in confusion.
"What never been a fake fiancée before or?" I say as a pink tinge begins to creep across Leyla's face. She moves her head and looks back down at her feet.
"Let's just say I've never held a boys hand before," she mumbles embarrassed by her admission. I can't help but laugh which makes her face turn a shade of red like a beetroot.
"Just flow with it," I laugh pulling her into a hug our hands still attached.
"Fine," she mutters as I release her but keep hold of her hand. It feels weird buying an engagement ring for a fake engagement but the deal is that I'll reuse it when I find someone to actually settle down with. If we don't get the ring today then there will be all hell to play tomorrow when I introduce Leyla to my parents. They will say I haven't done it right if she doesn't have a ring on her finger and I can't be bothered to deal with my parents right now.
"C'mon," I say pulling her back into the shop by her hand. I point to three rings I think she'll like and the assistant pulls them out and puts them on a velvet cushion ready for Leyla to try on. So far all Leyla has looked at is the cheap tacky rings, so I tell the assistant to remove the price tags so she is forced to pick based on look. I'm usually very similar, I buy based on price too even though my dad is a millionaire I hate splashing the cash and prefer to give to charities. I watch as she tries on each ring her face giving nothing away. I wonder what her story is. Leyla barely speaks but when she does its fragmented and strained like she's not used to people noticing her. I want to get to know her, I mean I'll be facing some tough questions from my parents tomorrow like 'why have we never met her before'.
"This one," she turns around and smiles at me showing me her hand. It's a platinum band with a 2.5 carat diamond standing proud on the ring and a another platinum band completely covered in small diamonds to sit below on the finger. I nod and the woman removes it from Leyla's finger taking it into the back before returning with a fresh ring and box. She puts it through the till and I flash her my credit card.
"£65,700," she says placing my card into the machine and I type my pin in quickly before Leyla can change her mind.
"Don't look so shocked doll face," I smile at her as we walk out of the shop, "the most expensive was £109,000." Leyla's mouth drops in horror at the price tag. She just about regains her composure as I pull her in the direction of the food court. Restaurant after restaurant lines the walls all trying to entice people in with their menus and loud music.
"I can't let you buy me lunch as well," Leyla says as I stop in front of an Italian chain.
"I've got half price," I flash her a folded piece of paper I had cut from yesterdays newspaper, "I'm a super scrimper." I can see Leyla's not convinced. Little does she know that I only eat out on offers and deals I can salvage. Suddenly all the music in the restaurants stop and loads of people swarm out into the main landing of the mall. Then a loud drum is played before load music is played over the main speakers and all the people begin to dance. My face lights up! I've always wanted to be part of a flash mob. I look at Leyla who's face is completely mortified. I take her hand in mine and pull her into the thick of people dancing. She's like a wooden plank, not moving her feet or letting the rhythm of the music enter her body.
"I don't dance," she shouts over the music but I choose to ignore her as I let the music take over.
"Feel the rhythm," I yell back letting my hips move as I try to entice her into the dance, taking both her hands in mine and moving them up and down to the beat of the song.
"Rahul Khanna, I don't dance," she shouts back firmly, ripping her hands from mine before turning and walking off towards the opposite end of the mall. I shrug and continue dancing to the music. I've always wanted to be part of a flash mob!