Chapter 18.

Rahul

Fuck! It wasn't what it looked like. It's just Lacey was approaching me in a sports bra and hot pants and I told her I was in a relationship but she just kept coming and I didn't know where to put my hands to push her away and before I knew it she was kissing me and I pushed her off me and now Leyla has seen!
"Leyla!" I shout after her. God she can run fast when she wants to. I know she's upset. She probably thinks I'm cheating on her with Lacey but I'm not.
"Leyla!" God I'm getting cramp in my side but I've got to talk to her before things get out of control.
"Leyla!" I grab her arm before she can reach her dorm building. She has tears streaming down her face and I feel so guilty for upsetting her.
"What? What Rahul? Are you going to deny it?" She yells snapping her arm out of my grasp.
"She kissed me, I pushed her off me I didn't encourage her," I try to diffuse the situation but it just seems to make Leyla more angry.
"Well you seemed to enjoy sucking face," she shouts prodding my chest harshly.
"Leyla, I love you and I would never cheat on you," I say calmly, "I can even get Lacey to tell you she kissed me." Leyla snorts.
"A cover up?" I scrunch my eyes up.
"Leyla I swear on my life I didn't kiss her," I sigh trying to make her believe me.
"Leyla?" Ajay strolls over to us putting his arm defensively over Leyla's shoulder, "is everything okay?" I blow it.
"Can you just butt out?" I shout trying to push him off her but he just bounces back into position.
"You're upsetting Leyla," he says evenly staring me down but I'm so angry right now.
"Ajay fuck off," I yell, "this has nothing to do with you."
"If you're upsetting my cousin then it has everything to do with me," Ajay narrows his eyes.
"I think Leyla's a grown woman," I sneer, "I don't think she needs you to hold her hand." Leyla tries to push Ajay off her but he's like a tree trunk-not moving an inch.
"Ajay it's fine," she whispers wiping her tears looking at her feet. Ajay reluctantly removes his arm and steps towards me.
"I'd back off right now," he mumbles so I take a step towards him too, showing me he doesn't threaten me.

"She's not your girlfriend," I smirk, "no matter how much you want her to be." Ajay recoils his arm and thrusts his fist at my face. I feel my head snap backwards and cup my nose blood trickling from it.
"Ajay," Leyla shouts pushing her cousin away, "leave it." Ajay turns away.
"This isn't over," he shouts over his shoulder as I look back at Leyla.
"Rahul I can't do this anymore," she sobs, "everyone I love just turns out to be some form of disappointment in my life. I expected more from you especially when you told me you wanted to 'fix me'. I really believed you." I take a step towards her now the space has opened up.
"Leyla I still want to fix you," I try to reach out to touch her shoulder with my clean hand but she just moves it away.
"Congratulations," she says placing a piece of paper in my hand, "and I'm sorry I can't say those three words to you. Maybe if I could say them to you then you wouldn't be looking elsewhere." She dries her tears before turning and walking away leaving me staring after her gripping the piece of paper, my nose dripping blood down my vest. I hold the paper up so it's at eye level before unfolding it. It looks like test results but I don't know what for. I scan the page looking for any tell-tale signs but the words high level hCG keep popping out at me. I fish my phone out of my pocket and type the words into google. I click on the first website and scan down the page until I hit the answer...

********************

"Leyla?" I call through her dorm door.
"Leyla?" I knock lightly, the blood on my nostrils drying.
"Leyla do you want me to tell the whole corridor about your result?" I hear the lock click back and the door open a crack.
"You can still go to America," she says, "I don't expect you to hang around." I push the door gently and she lets it open. From the way she's chewing her bottom lip I know she believes me about the whole Lacey situation. That's why she's let me open the door and barge into her room.
"How many weeks?" I ask slamming the paper down onto her desk and taking a seat on the only chair in her room. I watch as Leyla takes a seat on the edge of her bed.
"Six to seven weeks," she tells her feet.
"So around two months?" I ask leaning forward trying to get her to look at me.
"Haan," she mumbles. I place my hand under her chin and push her head up so she has to look at me.
"Leyla I don't want to go to America," I try not to laugh, "well not alone, you can come with me." She diverts her eyes.
"I can't afford to go to America," she mutters.
"I can pay for you," I offer letting my hand drop to hers.
"My uncle won't let me go to America," she stammers.
"Then I'll stay with you," I smile. I don't really want to go to America. It was sort of the last solution to my issues with my parents and well now Leyla's come along they seem to be slowly evaporating. I guess moving a good four hours away from them or even more wouldn't be bad.
"But isn't America your dream?" She asks looking at me with sadness in her eyes.

"No," I say smoothly, "it's being happy with you-even if you do think I'm cheating on you. If I can't fulfil my dream I'll die a lonely spinster." Leyla smiles and squeezes my hand.

"I'm sorry," she says awkwardly, "about not believing you and..." She points to my face and I shrug.

"Remind me not to get on the wrong side of him," I laugh. Things seem to be righted and I like that.