Chapter Two

to moira because she's so lovely and wonderful and amazing. oh and because she drew me the banner to the side. 

Chapter Two – Get Lucky

 “I’m up all night to get lucky,” I begin to squeal along to the iconic song of summer 2013. Usually one to never really get into the poppiest of pop music out there, I must admit that the song is starting to grow on me. I kind of had to start liking it because if I didn’t like it even a little bit, I would have gone completely bonkers from the numerous times it’s played on the radio.

            As much as the rest of the world would hate to admit it, the song is super catchy.

            Much against my better judgment, I let my eyes stray from the road. It’s either risk the slight chance of a car crash or getting lost and ate by some grizzly bear that I just know is lurking around somewhere. I go with the former, even if it’s not the best option per say.

            Call me as many synonyms to crazy as you’d like, but it makes perfect logic to me to make the choice. Given that I could collide into another car, it’s likely that I would survive to blow. Break a bunch load of ribs and limbs in the process, but I’ll still be ticking.

            But if I get lost in these hilly towns full of trees and sudden get greeted by a bear, there is no way I’m coming out. There’s very slight chance that it would always turn out to be a vegetarian bear or maybe Winnie the Pooh, but that’s high unlikely. Have you seen those commercials with the bear’s trying to get into the cars with their giant claws and furry heads? It would be like that, except to my head. 

            Troye had circled a small section on the store bought map for me, but the area around it is completely empty. No other towns surround it for miles and miles; a completely unmarked land of light green coloring. It’s as if the whole place is a figment of his imagination.

            Oh sweet lord Jesus, please don’t let it be a little dose of heaven that he made up in his head.

            He didn’t strike me as the kind of guy to tell innocent girls bogus things in his spare time over a warm cup of black coffee or the kind to be completely out of his mind. His words were quite coherent for someone as unstable as a magic kingdom of recovery that only he knows about would make him.

            I’ll just have to put my faith into him like I did an hour ago. Yeah sure, maybe I’m not always the most trusting adult out there, but I like to think I put enough trust into people.  You can’t put all the trust in your body to a single person like that; no one deserves to let you down so tragically like that. If you don’t set yourself up to pain like that, it won’t happen as much.

            It’s an exact science, really; it’s basically math in the form of something actually useful. With a track record the size of Alaska like mine is, you learn to perfect the art. People – no matter how good or bad they turn out to be- are always going to leave your side. At the daunting very wee hours of the morning, the only person holding your hair up over the toilet is yourself.

            It’s just how life is.

            Just as I’m about to avert my gaze back up to the yellow lines that await my moving Jeep, something in the corner of my eye catches my attention. It flashes to light, exploding the car in the highest set of brightness possible for an iPhone. I must have full lives once again on my favorite game app or some other new text from my family who apparently don't know how to do anything but worry about my safety. It’s refreshing that they care so much about me, but I'd admit to the shadows of my mind that I care more about Candy Crush than them.