Chapter Four

to em, as she's freaking fantastic 

Chapter Four - Just Like the Movies

"How does a place like this even exist?  It's so unreal," I wonder out loud.

            When Meredith told me that she was going to introduce me to her beloved haven, I was expecting great things. No amount of imagination would ever prepare me for a sight as wonderful as the one I'm seeing right now.  The scene is something straight out of a fairytale or an epic movie, I swear to God. There is no way possible that this is real life.

            The rows and rows of cabins that line the sight seem to sparkle in all their chestnut brown glory. The sun went down a dozen of eons ago, the nighttime moonlight leaving the place shimmering with reckless and carefree ambition. Bonfires liter the grassy area, hundreds of folding chairs and logs making the whole straight from a picture scene complete. The vibrant orange and red flames light up the strangers faces, making them grow larger than life and burning brighter than the sun on the hottest day of the year.

            Each one of the legendary humans in this Godforsaken place is attractive.  Not in the drop dead gorgeous Victoria's Secret supermodel kind of way or the type of boy who would star in an Kelvin Klein ad in nothing but his white underwear with everything on display, oh no. Even from this far away, I can tell that each and everyone one of theirs personality is beautiful. The collection of beautiful souls collides in my mind, morphing one of the best things I have ever seen.

            To be fair to the claim my thoughts are making, I haven't actually seen all that much of stuff. The only trademark sight my eyes have ever laid on are the glaring billboards of the sin city, way back when I was a good ten years younger. It doesn't actually count, as I never got out of the car. Living in the same small town for all of my live, I didn't tend to venture past the next town over.

            The one thing about my first night here at Ellison that stuck out to me the most in the ten minutes since walking out the front door is the stars.  A couple hundred miles away from the bright lights on the toxic city fumes, the white gasses in the sky are magnificent.  Each individual star stands out from one another,  begging to be stared at for as long as they appear. Given the opportunity to do such a thing, I would gleefully do with it without one complain leaking out of my lips.

            "Lennon, stop staring at the stars and come on," Meredith calls from somewhere ahead of me in an irritating tone. After living here for so many weeks, I guess she must be used to the beauty of the place. I hope that by the end of my stay here - if that is two months or two years from now- I'll never stop realizing the amazingness of the town. It's really something special.

            "I'm trying," I holler over to the impatient girl as long as I possibly can. The sound of laughter and the youthful rhythm of camp fire songs fill the air, not letting much room for conversing kids.

             I manage to squeeze through numerous groups of people, all huddling together under the Californian heat. It must be so nice to have a set group of friends to fall back to at any given moment, their true colors evident no matter what. I never had the privilege of such a thing back in my four years of high school, always bouncing around between different cliques made way before they even knew my name.   

            Meredith, on the other hand, knows exactly what it means to have a place to fit in. By the time I catch up to her neon pink tank top, she's sitting down on a log.  The vibrant beauty is sitting in the middle of two swoon worthy boys, completely at ease with the situation.