Chapter Five

Chapter Five – The Truther

"You know, Meredith, you should have warned me about your horrendous sleeping habits. I barely could get a wink of shuteye last night, what with all of your snoring."

        She throws one of the red grapes from her pile of fruit at my face,  but I dunk out of the way before it comes in contact with my skin.  We both turn our heads to watch the ball roll across the wooden floor boards, disappearing underneath one of the love seats.  

        We share a look at each other, knowing all too well that one of us would have to go and clean the grape up later on. It’s only been two days since we started living together, but already we share the similar hatred for cleaning and just work in general. In a perfect world, Meredith and I would take turns cleaning so that the house won't turn into a complete pigsty.

        I have a feeling that our cozy little cabin won't be so spotless for long.   

        "I told you that I snore," she says, bluntly ignoring what just happened.

        Playing along with Meredith's dream of reality, I arch my eyebrow in questioning. "I don't recall you ever saying that to me."

        "Are you calling me a liar?" She gapes her mouth open, waiting for it to stick like that forever so the flies can gather.

        Seizing an opportunity, I go straight for it. "Well, I ain't calling you a truther."  

        The poor girl stares at me with a confused expression much like a lost kid in a supermarket, full with wide eye and a gaping mouth. Raising my eyebrows to reach my hairline, I wait for the reference to sink in. A good four thumps of the heart pass before Meredith lets out an excited shrill.   

        "I get it now," another head titling laugh escapes from her. “That’s a quote from Drake and Josh!”

        It’s heartbreaking, really, to see people like Meredith so clueless about the important things in life. Don’t know all forty four president of the United States of America? Oh well, not important. You don’t even know who Obama is? You’ll be a bit confused about most things, but you’ll be fine.

        You can’t recognize a Drake and Josh quote? You’re not going very far with your life.

        I echo my thoughts out loud for the ridiculously slow girl to hear. “You’re pathetic.”

         “I am not,” she pettily whines, her voice rising three octaves on the last word.

        Her voice echoes through the small cabin, bouncing off of all the beautiful wood work of the structure. The place is drastically better looking than the Help Center, which still haunts my dreams. If Freddy Krueger had a life form, it would be that exact interior designer, I swear on the fate of my beloved Jeep.

        Slipping off of the bar stool that lines the front of the kitchen counter, I turn to face Meredith with the most serious face I could find within me. In the middle of stuffing an oversized grade that looks like it could give birth to several other fruits, Meredith pauses.

        Her flawless ringlets spill over her face, sticking to the nape of her neck in sweat. Her abnormally pale skin has adapted a hint of red coloring in her cheeks, making her whole face look flushed. The AC is broken or something, so the place has taken over the role of a sauna. Neither one of us are too excited about that little fact, as we both don’t handle that much heat well.