Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine - Yeah No

There are a certain amount of things that are certain in life. I know that the leaves change in the fall and that the ocean is because it reflects the sky. I know that no matter what age Leonardo Dicaprio is, he will always be hotter than every other man out there. It's a commonly known fact that if you search down deep enough in the ocean, you'll find a crab singing along to the beat.

            There isn't a single person out there who wouldn't vouch for me when I say that Jude is a peculiar human being.

            Considering the amount of time I've spent with the strange boy since coming here, you'd think I would be used to it by now. He has so many quirky habits that are so farfetched, that it just can't be a real thing. They are the truth of who he is, but whatever. It's still.

            Not even the fact that he likes to dump his whole Dill pickle into a pile of mustard when we eat hamburgers made me prepared to face the most shocking habit of all. I mean come on now, who does that? Just the sight of his acts of evil is enough to send me barfing into the nearest trash can.

            Stumbling out of slumber at a quarter past noon, the idiotic sunlight burnt all of the vision out of my two eyes. That resulted in me grumbling about it in long curse words, not bothering even open up my eyes yet. When all of the swear words I could think of came streaming out, I felt good enough to face the world.

            I wiped the sleepiness out of my eyes with my fists, stretching my arms out wide with a yawn erupting loudly from my throat. As soon as my eyelids allow me to see the scene that was unfolding in front of my very own eyes, my mouth went slack.

            Jude Love had a slim novel open, seemingly absorb in whatever he was reading with a look of concentration exposed on his face.  He didn’t look up or even flinch at me waking up, not seeming to care that this isn’t his house. His eyes were a bit watery and red, so I guess I knew why he wasn’t still hiding out under the blankets of his own cabin.

            Half an hour later and I still can't believe it.

            "Are you sure you aren't just reading a novel to impress me with your brain and smartness? I know that you said you actually just love literature, but I still don't quite believe you all the way." I question his motives for the millionth time since waking up.

            The slim novel has a pretty cover, the vibrant eyes staring right into my soul. When I told Jude my observation, he said that what I said was the whole point. Compared to the rest of the cover, the title isn't printed nearly as pretty as the rest. I recognize the cover of the classic, but only because my future husband, obviously Leonardo Dicaprio, starred in it.

            He doesn't even look up from the sentence he's reading, "Why would I need to impress you? You already can't get enough of me, so unless I go half ape and start throwing up from all this Gin,” he raises a small flask in the air, not seeing my look of disgust, “you're staying right where I want you."

            "And where exactly is that?"

            "Right by my side, Len," he whispers in a low voice.

            My breathing catches in my throat, which seems to happen more than ever now that Jude is in my life. Back home, not a single boy that talked to me would ever make me blush, so it's so odd Jude can say nothing and I'll still blush. Then again, the boys back in Chasten were more focused on what happens on the mattress versus how fuzzy they can make me feel inside.