Chapter Six

Chapter Six – Hey Jude

The rough voice of a man fills the space of our small house, catching both of us off guard.  I can sense that she doesn't know how to react to the sudden discomfiting action, making out feels unanimous.  It was one thing for me, who's barely even lived here, to react in such a senseless manor, but for Meredith to? Talk about odd happenings.

        “Hey Jude, the door is open. Come on in," Meredith lets out once she collects her nerves.

        If the person on the other side of the door is her close friend, then why is she acting so weird all of a sudden? It doesn't make any sort of sense for her to be all freaked out with me for such prolonged seconds? Then again, nothing about this place makes much sense to me.

        The heavy door creaks open ever so slowly, leaving me anxious to finally see this Jude fellow. I haven't yet made up my mind about him, as I took Meredith's advice not to judge her friend until I've actually meet him.  Given that I can now hear his silhouette enter the threshold due to the boards yelping, it's the perfect day to size him up. If I ever get up off my face, that is.

        "Since when did you start knocking on the front door before walking right in? I didn’t know that you know basic manners. What a shame it is that you don’t use it more often; I could get used to a proper Jude Love. I suppose it would be quite nice, actually," Meredith remarks. I imagine her with her hands resting on both her hips, a snarky smile dancing on her light pink lip glossed lips.

        Jude on the other hand is a wild card. I don't know where he place his hands when he get teased by his friend, if he's witty or not. He could be one of the rich boys who grow up alongside golf courses and country clubs, only to get some piercings as a pathetic attempt at  of rebellion. He could be a Grade A badass, gages lining up up his ear lobe and tattoo of dark reference making his skin a piece of art. For all I know, he could be a complete bookworm and loves to rave about all the classics ranging from the cringe feast known as Edgar Allan Poe to the horrific Shakespeare.  

        I really hope Justin Beiber isn't his idol.

        “I started knocking since I heard news that you’re harboring a fugitive. Although I’ve always known that your time being taken away in handcuffs was bound to happen, I thought it would be for something interesting. Robbing a bank, jaywalking in the city, got caught smoking up a joint or bailing your Uncle Gerald out of prison, maybe.  Being arrested for helping someone and giving them a place to stay against the park’s workers agreement is not very badass; I’m displeased with you," the mysterious boy remarks.

        I guess that he can take a joke, even come up with a witty comeback. It must be real nice to uphold those life skills, but I wouldn't know. I've always considered myself a dry person, lacking in a sense of humor.  I have my moments, just like everyone else does, sure but that's it.

        Coming here with two strong witty people like Meredith and Jude is insane. Although I know next to nothing about the guy, I can already tell that he's the life of the party.  Without me even seeing me, he's a vibrant light at the end of the tunnel.  With a sense of humor and a strong sense of a unique personality that isn't necessarily horrible,  he's already far ahead of me in life.             

        “I don’t have an Uncle Gerald, you little prick," Meredith sighs.

        "So um, why is the new girl lying dead on the floor?”

        Oh shoot, he noticed I was lying on the floor with my face smushed together. I can only imagine what it must look like to him, with Meredith's panicking face and my lifeless body. Man, am I on a roll these past few days with first impressions or what?