Chapter 2

As I laid down in the middle of my room, on my bed, I saw how the sun was going down. The sky was decorated with blue, purple and orange colors. The sun was red, clouds were surrounding it. My mother always said that a dusk was a beautiful natural phenomenon. However, for me was the sun going down, it happened everyday so there was no clue it was a phenomenon. 

          Finally the sun was down, and the moon was white like snow, the stars surrounding it. I preferred night over a million times than day. I changed my dress to a nightgown, it was short and short sleeve. Even though it was completely uncomfortable, I had to get used to sleeping in it. After changing, I wondered what would happen to Quince's room. Maybe it was empty, or maybe it was being maintained just in case. A lot of thoughts were on my head as I covered myself with the beige blanket. First of all, why replace my sister as heiress of the crown? I wasn't entirely ready to rule a whole kingdom, and it seemed that Quince was ready and confident like a soldier ready to battle for the sake of his king. However, I was just a farmer that hid in a basement every time there was an attack compared to her. Maybe they'll just teach me or something, they can't let a young commoner-like girl to rule... I thought. I didn't recognized myself as a very important person, I was commonly pessimist and always thought others were better than me, despite being a princess and future queen of Dawnsbury. Now that my sister was gone, I felt more empty. She was always there for me whenever I felt insecure, and she knew my trauma just like her fingertips. She was bountiful, beautiful, creative, healthy and descent. And she was murdered pregnant. Quince nor her unborn child deserved that, and my mother always tried to convince me that she's happier now, and that the sinner who murdered her will be punished, but that left me thinking, what sin had Quince committed to deserve that end?

·

I was waken by the unforgivable morning sunlight, like always. It stroke straight to my closed eyes that were forced to open slowly. Every time I asked for a cloudy morning, it never happened, and when I didn't, it happened. 

          Changed quickly to a blue and black dress, with lace sleeves. My favorite, in other words. I felt elegant and different in it, like a real princess. Then I headed to breakfast, where my parents were waiting for me. Everything was silent, it was beginning to feel uncomfortable. I think my mother realized that, and she was the first one to speak. "I was hoping you would put on your white and golden dress, Clementine." She said, giving me a small, short glance.

"It's a very tight for me."

"You never wear it." She responded quickly.

"I'll wear it when I found a way to make it a little bit more loose." I promised, but my mother seemed to be focused on the food than my words. My father just glanced at us and kept eating.

          After breakfast, I raced to the castle's mews. Even if it doesn't seem to be, the castle's mews were extremely well-maintained, clean and it hardly ever smelly, compared to the barn. 

          It seemed to be ages since I visited my horse. His name was DeShawn, I had it since he was a foal. A beautiful, black-blue friesian horse. I was so excited, it seemed ages since I last ride him. Finally, he was there, laying on the ground, hopefully he wasn't sick. I called his name and he instantly woke up. I felt that the only one I could trust now was him, not that I didn't trust Kieran but you know, animals are more trustable that any human being. "DeShawn..." I repeated as I stroked his soft fur. "Quince won't be coming back." I said, my voice sounding broken. DeShawn only seemed happy to see me, and I imagined what he could be telling me. "She will always be alive if we remember the good times with her." I also imagined his voice like a mature man, cold and warm at the same time. I pressed my face against his forehead. "Want to wander around?" I asked, and even though no answer came out from him, I let him out, put a saddle on him and went for a walk, even if I was wearing my favorite dress.

·

The castle's garden was big enough to make a horse race, it was huge, full of white roses, berry bushes, lavender, marigolds, mahogany and pine trees. I kept my distance to plants, especially flowers, I was afraid of bees and wasps. DeShawn was being obedient, he was a descent and meek horse, I had never fallen down riding him, unlike Kieran with his horse, Tuna (weird name, I know, I cannot recall why he called his horse like that). Tuna was a brownish red quarter mile horse. Even though it had beautiful, long black mane, and shiny fur, Tuna wasn't that friendly and didn't got used to humanity easily, maybe indomitable, but Kieran always insisted Tuna wasn't in the mood for riding, maybe she wasn't in the mood to ride in any day.

          While riding, I found Kieran, surprisingly, without Tuna. "Clementine!" he called out joyful. He had light brown hair and green eyes, freckled skin. I waved and got off DeShawn, who obediently remained in his place the moment I got off. We were face to face, glad to see each other. Kieran had been busy for a long time he never got enough time to see me, it's not that I was anxious of that or something. "Hey, how are you? Seems it was ages ago I last saw you because you look older!" he said.

"Older? What do you mean with that?" I asked smiling. He didn't answer back, and changed the theme. 

"What's new?" He said, walking towards DeShawn to caress his black mane.

"Not much." I said, trying to avoid saying 'Besides Quince's dead'

"Oh really? Not much? I have LOTS of things to tell you." He said, looking back at me. I was curious about what he had to tell me. He sounded too happy for some bad news.

We sat in a stone bench in front of a big fountain. He talked and talked and I listened carefully.

"My father's a little bit ill, so I'm replacing him for a while." He said

"I don't know if it's good or bad."

"Neither. I'm so nervous. Even though I am in a high rank, I still don't know how it feels to command an entire army."

"If something happens, I know you'll do fine. You are the general's son after all, I bet you inherited some of his leader-like qualities." I said, trying to cheer him up, I gave him a small push.

"I hope so..." He said, looking down to the floor. We talked a little bit more, and since he was now in charge of Dawnsbury's army, he had to race off soon, leaving me with DeShawn. I was sure he would make a great general someday, unlike me, I doubted I would make a great queen someday.