Chapter 8

The meeting was finally over and all the princesses had left from Westview already. I was in my room, even though I felt so numb and done, I made an effort not to weep, and I was doing well so far. I was sitting on my bed, embracing myself. I had taken off my dress and put my nightgown on. Suddenly I heard the door opening.

          "Hello, my future-"

          "Shut your beak." I interrupted Alastair. I didn't care if he saw me in my nightgown. "Why would you choose me?" I asked him, trying to keep an straight face. He approached to me and sat on my bed.

          "Oh, Clementine~ I'm a generous man." He pointed out.

          "If you are generous enough then give this 'price' to someone who deserves suffering." I hissed as I got away from Alastair, even though he kept following me around the room.

          "You deserve suffering, Clementine~" He exalted.

           "Isn't it enough with my sister's death?! What kind of person are you? Some kind of super sadist or what?!" 

           "Well, now that you are my fiancée, I can only be sadistic towards you~" He said in a flirtatious voice. I was next to the door. I can just run... The moment I had that idea, Alastair closed the door gently. "Mister, do not attempt to molest me." I whispered angrily. He didn't listen, when he was about to make a move on me I slapped him and freed myself. I slapped him so hard I could even feel pain on my hand. The pain was worth it though. "At least wait until we are officially married, moron." I argued. He was rubbing his hand on his cheek where I slapped him.

          "I love every single touch of yours~" He said, smiling.

         "Not only a sadist you are but also a masochist." 

         Alastair giggled. "I'll see you later, my love. Seems you are not ready to love me yet." He said, and finally exited my room. I sighed as if I was ready to cry, but I could hold back my tears.

         "Sigh... 'My love'... keep your distance Alastair we aren't even in an official relationship." I grumbled, this time out loud.

          I locked my room's door, then headed to my bed to sit down. I definitely needed time alone, to ask myself questions I knew would never be answered, or at least that's what I thought. As time passed, I kept asking myself the exact same questions. Why me? What was especial about me? Does Alastair even love me? We never officially met before, therefore he would only love me for my 'good' looks. Did he want something from me? I sighed everytime I asked myself those questions. 

          I curled up into a ball, embracing myself, giving myself some warmth without using the blankets. I wondered and wondered. If I was getting married to Alastair anytime soon, then I would like to visit Dawnsbury for one last time, see DeShawn, take some of my sister's belongings to remember her. Anything I needed. I couldn't bear to live my life without my lovely horse or a memory from my sister. No. I couldn't allow myself. 

          All of my thoughts faded when I heard some knocks on my door, but no voice. Even though I didn't give myself a chance to blush when Alastair came in while I was in my nightgown, I couldn't let any other man see me in it. I wouldn't mind my mum, but if it was a man or anyone else I didn't know, I would collapse into embarrassment and anger. I decided to wait, just to see if whoever was out there would spit some words out just so I could tell who was out there on the other side of the wall separating both of us.

          "May I come in?" 

           The voice was coming from lovely Kieran, and even though I agreed I would never let a man or stranger see me in my nightgown, he was an exception that time. I rushed to the door and opened it, to see his face. Once he saw me, he blushed so hard, he was about to speak, but I interrupted him. "I know what you're thinking, but please, come in, please." He opened his mouth to argue, "Come in!" I ordered. He did as I said and closed the door. Kieran took a deep breath and showed concern in his eyes.

            "What made you think I was allowed to see you like this?" He asked, making an effort on not blushing nor screaming out loud that question.

           "I trust you." I answered. My response wasn't convincing enough. He backed away few steps towards the door.

          "That doesn't make any sense! Even though I'm your childhood friend and probably the only friend you've had so far I don't think I'm allowed to see you in your nightgown!" He whispered loudly, sounding obviously annoyed.

          "I was chosen." I announced, looking down.

          "I know." He said, looking away. "I came here to try to comfort you. I knew you didn't want to suffer this. However, I had no idea I would find princess CLEMENTINE IN HER NIGHTGOWN." He looked back to me as he finished his sentence.

          "Then, why you keep looking?" I asked as an attempt to tease him. The moment I asked that question he looked away again. 

          "If you feel uncomfortable with me looking then you shouldn't have let me in." He hissed. 

          "I'm not, that's why you're here." I said. I walked towards him and grabbed his hand. He tried hard to pull it away, but seconds later he stopped. "Please, help me get out of this situation, accidents are allowed as long as it helps me." Kieran used his other hand to grab mine, he kissed it.

          "I'm never letting you marry that fool." He whispered. A tear fell down his cheek. An emotional moment was occurring, and it was oddly satisfying. We remained in silence for a while. Kieran needed his time alone too, he was dropping tears of pain and wouldn't let go my hand, even after it began getting sweaty. 

          "Kieran." I whispered. He looked up, straight into my eyes. "I love you."