16

Stepping into a normal classroom shouldn't be as hard as it is now. Alaric isn't writing today's objective on the board or sitting at his desk grading papers and I had to live with that. He wasn't coming back.

I take a seat at my desk, making no facial expression, only hoping to move along with the day with no hustle. Stefan reaches over his desk onto mine and squeezes my hand in comfort. I give him a small smile and he lets go, turning back to his desk.

I pull out my notebook and pen, waiting patiently for the new teacher to arrive. More and more students start to pile into the room and I didn't even notice Elena joining Stefan and I.

"It's the first time we've been back in Alaric's classroom..."

"First period, and I'm ready to bawl my eyes out." Elena frowns, looking down. "Same." I respond, biting my lips to hold back the tears.

"Morning, everyone." Rebekah enters the classroom with a smile, handing out flyers and passing them to nearby students.

Elena mutters, "Just like that, I'm no longer feeling sentimental."

"So, I'm throwing a little anti-curfew party at my new house. Starts at fifth period and goes 'til whenever. Spread the word." Rebekah states, making her way over to us.

She hands me one, "Please come, Maya."

I gulp, taking the paper and start to read off of it. She turns to my sister, "You're welcome to join, Elena, if you'd like to bury the hatchet."

She hands my sister a flyer and Elena accepts it. "It's a pretty enormous hatchet."

Rebekah rolls her eyes, "Well, I'm feeling generous of spirit."

"New house, huh? Did your brother finally kick you out?" Elena asks, looking at the flyer.

My eyes widen a bit and I turn my head to look at the two of them argue. Rebekah shakes her head, "He didn't kick me out, I left." she clarifies.

"So, you left the only person on earth that actually likes you?" Elena asks her, narrowing her eyes.

Rebekah looks at me with a grin, "Your sister likes me."

I let out a sigh, not wanting to be pushed into this. Elena gave her a look, "Why would she be friends with someone who killed her sister?"

Rebekah scoffs. "You're alive now," She then smirks, "and besides, sweet Maya over here is getting close with my brother so it must mean we're bound for enteral friendship."

My lips form into a straight line and exhale a breathe of annoyance. Both Elena and Stefan look at me, probably assuming I would shut her down but in all honesty, I am in no mood to join their bickering squad.

"And, your boyfriend liked me once." Stefan looks up at her, clearly not happy to be dragged into it. "Actually, a lot more than once."

Elena looks furious, and began to tightly hold onto the table. "Why are you still in town, Rebekah? Don't you have anywhere else to go?" Stefan asks, straightening himself.

"Well, history's my favorite class. Actually, where is Mr. Saltzman...?" she pauses dramatically.

I swallow thickly, preparing myself for her next words to bother my sister. I watch her as her rage intensifies.

Rebekah smiles, "Oh, that's right, I killed him."

Elena loses her temper, throwing a pencil at Rebekah's face except she catches it with ease and aims to back towards her. The pencil impales into Elena's shoulder.

"That's enough." I stand up from my chair and help Elena out of her chair. She pulls the pencil out of her shoulder with a hiss. "Go get some fresh air. Have Stefan go with you."